Official KnifeDogs Summer 2014 Knife in the Hat (KITH) Thread

Mark Redmon

This is the Official 2014 KITH Thread.

Here are the rules:
1. The Knife in the Hat is open to all knifemakers. There likely will be a wide range of skill levels involved. There are no restrictions on the style of knife you make, but it should be representative of your skill, and one that you would be proud to have your name on.

In order to keep this friendly to our international members, non-kitchen knives should have a blade length of 4" or less. If you prefer to make a longer knife, you may, as long as you have an additional knife made of similar quality and meets the requirement of a blade length that does not exceed four inches.

2. I will create the photos thread after a few makers state, or show their completed knife. All participants MUST have their photos in the “Photos” thread by 12:00 Noon PST on July 14th. Those without photos of their knife completed and ready to ship will be withdrawn from the KITH. I feel this is the only fair way to do this. This should be fun and a positive experience for all involved.

3. The drawing will be conducted as such: I will maintain a list of participants in the thread that will be added to in the order people sign up. Once the deadline is met, I will remove anyone that hasn't completed their knife and then assign the participants a number in the order they were added. The number of the person you will send to will be determined by adding the first two numbers of the Illinois Lottery evening "My 3" for Monday, July 14th to your number. In the unlikely even that those add up to zero (0) or one (1), I will add the third number. Those at the end of the list will roll around to the beginning. I will also make a list at that point and add it to the thread so there is no confusion.

Here is an example:
So let's say the winning number is 127. 1+2=3

Maker #1 (+3) sends to maker #4
Maker #2 (+3) sends to maker #5
Maker #3 (+3) sends to maker #6
And so on....

As I mentioned, the list will wrap back around. Basically what I will do is drop everyone in to an Excel spreadsheet and copy that list again in to the next column offset by the number (In the example, 3)

I like that this will randomize the "offset" from 1 to 18 rather that just being the person above or below on the list.

The PHOTO thread can be found here:http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?36779-Official-KnifeDogs-Summer-2014-KITH-PHOTO-Thread!&p=289671#post289671

Please post to this thread with: “I’m In” to be added to the "Participants" list. Also, any questions or suggestions can be addressed here.

Participants:
Mark Redmon (Knife Completed)
rasret01 (Dick Stockford) (Knife Completed)
Sagebrush Blades
TacticallySharp (George Brackett) (Knife Completed)
scott.livesey (Knife Completed)
Patrick
racjarrett88
tuskbuster (Knife Completed)
J. Hoffman (Knife Completed)
Darrin Sanders
Freds Edge (Knife Completed)
Tony Manifold (Knife Completed)
Acrcher Moon
DeMo (Knife Completed)
A.W. Stovall (Knife Completed)
sunny_2_75
Duncan Tipton (Knife Completed)
BossDog (Tracy Mickley) (In progress)
JAG (Jerry Goettig) (Knife Completed)
Adam Reese (Knife Completed)
David Roeder
cnccutter (Erik Land) (Knife Completed)
kamikazej (Knife Completed)
NPD (Knife Completed)
Franklin
LlamaHerder (Matt Wallis)
Steven Long
hikerdude07
GrizzlyKnives (Knife Completed)
dereklee12 (Knife Completed)
Matt de Clercq (Knife Completed)
Brad Lilly (Knife Completed)
Cameron Wilcox (Knife Completed)

Last edited:
Mark,

Thank you. I am planning two knives, one to meet the 4" rule and another larger size. If the winner of my knife needs the smaller one then they will get it. otherwise the little one goes into inventory. Let me know if that is OK to do.

Thanks,

George

Patrick and racjarrett88 have been added!

Mark,

Thank you. I am planning two knives, one to meet the 4" rule and another larger size. If the winner of my knife needs the smaller one then they will get it. otherwise the little one goes into inventory. Let me know if that is OK to do.

Thanks,

George

George, I don't see any problem with this.

tuskbuster, J. Hoffman, Darrin Sanders and Freds Edge, I have you guys on the list.

Do I need to make a sheath or just the knife?
Tony, I think the expectation is that you would have a sheath unless it was a kitchen knife or a folder. If you don't have experience in sheath-making, give it a shot. It's a lot more enjoyable than you might think... and goes a heck of a lot quicker than the knife! There are a lot of good videos and how-to's out there.

Back