Etching Question/Problem

SYD32

I know this topic has been addressed before but I can't find it in my searches. When I etch my maker's mark on a knife I use a stencil from Ernie and a personalizer plus. I always use blue painters tape to keep my stencil flat an the blade. I use the felt pads that came with the machine as well as the solution. So the problem is that I get a line etched into the blade along the edge of the stencil. The line is verbally as deep as the maker's mark. Since etching is usually the last step I do it is always a pain to go back and remove this line.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Are your pads to wet with etching solution? We may need a picture of your setup to diagnose this thoroughly. I haven't had this problem before.

99% of my etching problems went away as soon as I got rid of the giant diaper that came with the set-up. I made my own hand peice from a 12 penny nail and gained great control. The pad is a peice of T-shirt folded twice. I suspect your pad is too wet and large, it's saturating your entire stencil. Dab your pad a couple of times on a napkin after applying the etchant, it should be barely damp. Don't hold the pad down on the stencil, move it slowly back and forth. Also try boxing your logo with tape under the stencil. The pic is a deep etch (DC) and evenly colored (AC).

Rudy

Thanks for the information. I will be etching a knife tomorrow and will post the result.

Rudy,

I tried your technique with he t-shirt and nail. The mark came out much clearer and cleaner however I can't seem to get it as deep as I would like. I was using the personlalizer plus set at the maximum setting of 5 when I did the etch phase as well as the mark phase. Thanks again for all of the help!!

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 51
The whole thing looks great, nice shine job.

Try kicking down the power to about mid level and make more slow passes. My average deep etch is at leat around 8-10 sloooow passes with a light recharge on etchant if needed. Sometimes I'll hear the sizzling sound but more often I can feel in my fingers if it's working, a real light vibration. If I don't feel the vibration, I use a tooth pick and put a drop of etchant on the pad. Take a look at some of my marks, they're plenty deep.http://knifedogs.com/album.php?albumid=35

The machine may make a difference, I experimented plenty until I found the right system. I'm using a Marking Methods machine with a wide power range but never exceed mid level or it cooks my stencil. I also found that the closer the ground is to the mark...the better it works for a deep etch. I usualy wrap the spine over the stencil with a small peice of tin foil so the clip doesn't scratch. All in all...everything looks great in your pics, I'm glad everything worked out but keep trying new things.

I do my etching before any handle work so IF there's a problem...it's easier to fix.

Rudy

Last edited:
I am also having minor difficulty with my etches. The cleaning solution is removing the oxides in the etch so it is no longer black, but frosted. It still looks okay, but I can't seem to make the logo stay black. I'm using the personalizer plus as well, on setting number 3 with 6-8 three second etches.

Jon,
Most times I can remember getting a frosted mark or the black oxides rubbing off is when I used a hand peice that uses a screen under the pad. The screen oxidizes and can't transfer full electrical power. Sand the screen or 86 it if possible. Make your own hand peice out of just about anything metalic . The common 12 penny nail is probably the best conductor/ marker I've used.

Rudy

I've gotten the "edge lines" a few times too. If possible, I cut my stencil as large as I can, so that there's not as much of a chance that the solution will seep over the edge.

For my "pad" I took a tip from Brian Fellhoelter and modified a motor brush from a large industrial motor:

If I'm doing a smaller stencil, I'll often just use a Q-Tip.
m4M6qgjnytL9SGK2CY9w_Dg.jpg

One trick I learned a while back to keep the Halo of edge lines away is to clean the blade well with windex.

The spray windex right were I am going to put the stencil then put the stencil on and mark it. Then spray again when I am done to stop the oxidation process.

Make your own hand peice out of just about anything metalic . The common 12 penny nail is probably the best conductor/ marker I've used.

Is it okay to use the nail with bare hands while operating? I HATE being shocked. In fact while I was setting up the etching machine for the first time, one of the leads was dangling over the edge of the bench and rubbing on my pocket when all of a sudden I felt a strange vibration similar to electrical current. After I returned to my body I discovered it to be nothing more than an incoming call on my cell phone, lol! The machine wasn't even plugged in yet. Ha, ha.

Is it okay to use the nail with bare hands while operating? I HATE being shocked. In fact while I was setting up the etching machine for the first time, one of the leads was dangling over the edge of the bench and rubbing on my pocket when all of a sudden I felt a strange vibration similar to electrical current. After I returned to my body I discovered it to be nothing more than an incoming call on my cell phone, lol! The machine wasn't even plugged in yet. Ha, ha.

I use it just the way you see it in the picture. If you're concerned about shocks....wrap some electrical tape around it and don't stand in a bucket of water while using it. I've never been shocked and kind of rely on the vibration in the hand peice to know it's working. If I don't feel anything, I add a drop of etchant to the pad. I know this is blasphamy but.....ditch the phone if you actually want to get anything done, the world doesn't disappear if it's shut off.

Rudy

I invested in the latest tech on my phones......
They'll actually record a message if I don't answer it. What'll they think of next ?
I have a phone in my shop that hasn't had the ringer turned on in at least 4-5 years...now if I could only stop the visitors from hanging around, I'd get even more done.

Rudy

Nice. Great thread.

I have not had a cell phone in over 10 years! Its awesome!! After many, to many years with a phone or beeper on my hip I gave them up when I started making knives and never looked back.

Not to completely derail this thread but that cell phone shocking comment made me laugh hard! I rarely answer my phone when I'm not in the garage, and I find it really messes with my product in the end if I do.

On topic now, couldn't you just cut your pads smaller as opposed to making a new hand piece? Instead of covering the whole width of the electrode, just cut it as wide as you need for you stencil? I don't have a machine yet but this was my thought process for when my personalizer plus gets here.

Justin

I invested in the latest tech on my phones......
They'll actually record a message if I don't answer it. What'll they think of next ?
I have a phone in my shop that hasn't had the ringer turned on in at least 4-5 years...now if I could only stop the visitors from hanging around, I'd get even more done.

Rudy
Rudy,
The fastest way I've found to get lingering guests in my shop on the move is to start grinding on some bone or horn. The room clears out really fast! LOL

To politely ask guests to leave I hand them the broom and ask them to be helpful. Must work since the mess has gotten quite deep on the floor lately. The wife just offered to sweep for me! Who knows what else she will organise/hide if I let her Clean Up.

If the queen ever offered to help clean the shop, I'd tell her that I don't clean the house so don't help me clean my shop......and what are you doing away from the stove anyway ?

Actually, not really. I just walk away muttering to myself. I'm too old now to take any more hits to the head with the frying pan.

Laurence,
I just shut everything down now. All it took was one time of someone thinking they could stop a 60 grit belt with their fingers. Everyone knows an idiot like that I bet. Then there's a couple who think my shoulder is a chin rest when I'm grinding....too intimate for me.

Rudy

Back