Post your New Years Knife related pledge..

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Skip all the other pledges, ie eat better, exercise, blah, blah, blah...

let's talk about good ones...
What is your knife related New Years pledge?

i have a few...
finish the press I started a few years ago but never finished by the September Hammer In..
build a blower forge by then too. (Anyone have any good blower parts/plans/burners?)
make a few more Bali's and learn to flip at least a little..
make some stout frame locks...
that's enough I think.

post your knife New Years pledge...

Finish my KMG build and make more knives. Since I've only made like four in the past two years I think I can manage that. :biggrin:

Oops...I said KMG, I meant NWG as in No-Weld-Grinder with plans from Boss Dog

Last edited:
To help teach more noobs is the only really important one. I have plenty of knives to finish on the wall and you can never have enough tools and new machinery. :biggrin:

Get published. In a lot of ways more exposure and sales are the last thing I need, but I recently received my first Blade magazine in years and I think I'm ready.

Try to do more shows although time is usually limited and travel eats up so much of it. Second...try and keep my promise to myself to take more and better pictures of my work, for the third year in a row. Picture taking makes me feel like I'm wasting my time and I go do something else.... it just doesn't seem that important to me.

Rudy

I've been collecting engraving equipment for years but don't have the time to learn so I'm giving it to our artistic son Brian. We want to collaborate and make some art knives in 2014

I've got much on my plate right now keeping me from making knives (as usual) But 2014 is a long year and I'm expecting to get downright serious about working my shop like a job after spring, summer, and the start of the next school year.

My goal is to complete all the major non-knife related tasks I've got coming up by that time so I can focus on what is important... Making more knives ;)

I wish I were making JS test knives for bladeshow but it's not going to be in the cards for 2013.

2014 should prove to be an excellent year for dabneyknives though. Much happenings going on behind the scenes.

Merry Christmas y'all :D

-Josh

After a pretty successful first year making knives, I would like to take it to the next level and spend more time working in the shop than at my day job.

- Get more orders out the door while improving my quality at the same time.
- Purchase a heat treat oven.
- Focus on leather a little more.
- and most importantly, figure out how to properly etch my makers mark (its driving me nuts :))

I see a great 2014 in my future and want to thank all of you for a great 2013. Couldn't have done it without the help from you guys.

My new year pledge is to improve my leather working skills, get away from my stupid 1x30 and get a 2x72, and most importantly teach at least one person what I know and help em get a finished knife!

Make my first folder... I'm not much of a folder person but I've had a lot of requests from friends and family so my goal for 2014 is to complete at least 4 folders.

This year I'm going to try to complete my JS performance test knife and do the test. I will finish both major projects the blown forge and the mini forging press.

Hmmmmmm, after just completing my first of three two week courses for my new job, moving the family, and then taking a week long road trip for Christmas, I plan to return home and leave for the next two courses after the New Year. My new Year's Knife Resolution is to un pack, re-organize, and rebuild my shop in my new two car garage/shop, purchase/install a vacuum system so that I can safely use my garage as a shop, and begin making knives after a two year break. In February I will pay my dues and reserve a table for the 2015 AKA Show and spend all of 2014 producing a dozen or so knives worthy of being placed on my table for the show in 2015.

I am going to make all my nieces and nephews a knife. I think it is fourteen (14).

On a side note, I am going to keep knife kharma on my side this year. Last year, not so much. 2014 is going to be my year.

DeMo

I pledge to: finish the L-6 axes I started as well as refine the techniques to produce them quicker and better; to finish my salt pots; grow as a maker; get out more and meet other makers but most important I WILL make more time for my family knowing the knives will be there waiting when I return!

Happy New Year

First of all, I will get all my tools set up in my new shop. It will be so nice to have forges, LG, hydraulic press, band saw at my call along with all my benchtop tools. I will improve on my folding knives this year. I'm lucky enough to have a very good maker just 3 miles from me now and he is very willing to help me out. I will also advance my Damascus abilities this year by learning more patterns. And lastly, I want to visit some other knife makers shops to see how they are set up and what they do.
Happy New Year everyone.

Back