West System Epoxy

P

Peter Milner

Does anyone use the West System epoxy and know how it holds up over the long run? I like working with it, but I don't know how it wears with knives.

Any feedback?

I have been using the West System 3 epoxy for about 3 years.I really like it. Takes a while to setup,so I usually glue up and let set 12 hrs.
Stan

West system is very good stuff. It's mostly used in Boat and Airplane construction so you know it has to be good..

Sounds like good stuff but I don't think you can beat Brownells AcraGlas for knife making. And you have an hour working time with the 'Glas. I've been using it for years and use nothing else.

I've used it in the past, and if Acra-Glas ever goes away, its nice to know that West System will still be there (hopefully). Not dogging West System at all, its good stuff, but Acra-Glas is my first choice.

I have used west system on the inside of home built plywood aquariums. It holds well for that relatively static application going on about 5 years now.

My wife and I built a stripper canoe,,, must be 10 years ago, with west systems. It is holding up great. I just tried Max CLR HP on a rifle stock made up of denum, 100 layers, and it too was nice to work with.
Dave

West System is good. Another equally good epoxy is System Three. It comes in many formulations and hardener speed combinations, but the most useful for knife assembly is the T-88 structural epoxy. Available through Woodcraft, and many other woodworking places.
Stacy

Back