Another file knife

N.N

I gotta say, the grind on this one came out pretty good...considering I freehand a lot of this flat grind because my grinder sucks. File knife, Cherry wood, ranger green and white spacers, stainless pins and tubes, 4in edge, 9in overall, big and heavy. I forced the patina on the steel (because the owner isn't going to take care of it as he should, and I know it), oiled the cherry, then super glued and waxed. I'm pretty sure it's sold already...i've got 2 people interested even before I've told anybody about it. Anyway, just thought a few of you guys would like to see some new pics.

2013-10-29_08-12-41_133.jpg2013-10-29_08-13-05_434.jpg2013-10-29_08-13-19_513.jpg2013-10-29_08-13-39_205.jpg2013-10-29_08-14-14_716.jpg2013-10-29_08-14-33_372.jpg2013-10-29_08-15-06_763.jpg2013-10-29_08-15-24_161.jpg2013-10-29_08-15-34_91.jpg

Way to go NN, I like big heavy indestructible knives like that one. Almost need to taper the tang on something that big to get some weight forward, but may be tough if grinder is limited.

I'd love to hear how you go about your process of making a knife. This is not a bad looking knife, it just lacks some refinement...and for a user that's not always important. What is important is that we strive for perfection. That comes with practice and patience.
I'm going to send you a friend request on facebook. I would be more than willing, as I am sure the others here are, to help you in any way possible.

Thanks Eric, I did see you on Facebook.

The lack of refinement is probably more from lack of knowledge of refinement, but depends on exactly what you're talking about as well. I got into making knives not long ago because I wanted something nice but didn't want to pay $250 for it. I said, "I can do that, and I can do it for much less money than $250." So I have a new hobby that I'm able to make a little money from and I can sell them quick because people can afford $80 to $120 for something handmade. If refinement equals pretty, then it's intentional. If refinement means something that I should be doing that I'm not...

...I welcome suggestions with open ears. I'm sure there's better ways to do everything I'm doing. In fact, annealing these files leaves them bent and I have the hardest time getting them straight again.

I eyeball just about everything I do on these. I've always benn an artist and so it kinda comes easy. 1x30 grinder to shape with 36 to 120 grit belts, heat treat, finish with 80 and 120 belts (going to get some cork belts soon to take it a little higher), cut handles, drill holes, epoxy up and final shaping. For wood I usually do a good oiling and briwax finish on the wood and steal. That's about it in a nutshell. The grinder and my makita drill are about the only power tools I use and I do a lot of the final shaping with files and sandpaper.

Please dont get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with your knife. I just wanted you to know I am willing to help any way I can.
I started making knives with a stone bench grinder and a couple of files and some sand paper.
There are tons of tutorials on this site, even some on straightening bent blades.

I didn't take you wrong, thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll need to use your advise sometime......like soon. Since posting that above I've found a client I'm meeting with Saturday that wants a hidden tang antler handle....which I've not done yet. Should be fun, I just hate hate experimenting under the microscope.

Thanks for the kind words. And I'm always open for suggestions and constructive criticisms.

Back