Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat shield material???????

Heat shield material???????

My forge sits on a cart I made with a plywood top, and casters to be able to move it around, due to space problems in my shop. The other day I noticed that after a recent remodel job on the forge, the plywood gets warm after using the forge for a while.
    This pic is one taken during the re-working of the forge as it doesn't show the final product where the wiring is all thermally protected, and a few other changes that were made!

I really don't think the top is getting warm enough to be a problem however, to be on the safe side I would like to place something down on the top between the plywood and the forge. I have to cover a top about 24' X 30".

I would prefer it too be something solid so I don't have to worry about small items disappearing in any cracks or crevices by using pieces to cover the top.

So anyone got any suggestions, as too what i might use to act as a heat shield that is durable and low cost, and readily available????
    Last edited by C Craft; 10-28-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    C Craft Custom Knives

“Do a good job and your name will get around fast enough, do a bad job and your name will beat your from job to job”

My Father

Personally I use concrete cap blocks but if you want something that is one piece you could try insulation board like High Temperature Tools and Refractory sells. I believe they have a whole sheet that is larger than than but it's going to be on the pricey side.

Doug
    Old age and trechery will always overcome youth and ambition.

Some ceramic fiber wool/insulation or ceramic fiber board should be adequate.

I don't know what the price is now, but I bought a whole roll of Ceramic Fiber insulation for about $50 or $60 a few years ago. I just looked up a quick price for what I bought (1"x24"x24' roll, 6lb density if I recall...) and saw it one one site for about $90.

Depending on how much you need, or if you have other uses for it, it may be cheaper to buy a whole roll, or it may be cheaper to just get what you need.
    -Andrew

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
    Check it out and Subscribe!

Doug your post got me too thinking and I looked up something. Durock cement board, I wonder if it wouldn't do well to reflect the heat? I haven't been able to find out on the manufactures site as I guess you could say that would be an off-purpose to say the least!
    C Craft Custom Knives

“Do a good job and your name will get around fast enough, do a bad job and your name will beat your from job to job”

My Father

Ya, but if it works, it works.

Doug
    Old age and trechery will always overcome youth and ambition.

It may not so much reflect the heat, but it will at least add one more "buffer" between your non-combustibles and your combustibles, effectively "blocking" the amount of heat that is typically transferred, or at the very least, delaying it.
    -Andrew

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
    Check it out and Subscribe!

look for something called "kiln shelf"
    It's really common from pottery supply houses and works perfectly for that.
    Tracy Mickley
    Forum owner and administrator

Mickley Knives www.Mickleyknives.com
    >Get your KnifeDogs.com: Memberships, Shirts, Hoody and Dogtags here<

A welders blanket maybe??

Sheet metal and some 1" stand offs, or see if you can find some of the insulation stuff they used to put behind stoves. There is also the redneck option of a car hood

Use the Duraroc upside down (rough side up), the face has fiberglass mesh on it.

Rudy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast