24" wheel grinder......well maybe

If the math is correct I'm going to order a 7" driven pulley. Starting slow is easy with my VS. If the weight is too much to spin up fast it will pop my re-set on the controller. I don't foresee any problems at all especially if your math is right.

I spent the last couple days mounting and adjusting the big wheel onto my grinder. I didn't modify the grinder so if I need to I can go back easily to the old 14" wheel. I couldn't find a 7" pulley but did find the slower running 8" driven pulley. At full speed it does shake just a little but if I fasten it to the floor that may be eliminated.
Anyway I think its a "mans" grinder!

IMG_3788_zpsf8ad1694.jpg

IMG_3789_zps0210ee6d.jpg

IMG_3792_zps5bcf4deb.jpg

If the math is correct I'm going to order a 7" driven pulley. Starting slow is easy with my VS. If the weight is too much to spin up fast it will pop my re-set on the controller. I don't foresee any problems at all especially if your math is right.

I must have miss read something. I thought you had a fixed speed motor. VS is always best!
Is this monster wheel for 1" belts only?

I really like the color scheme you have chosen. I am looking forward to what Master Bruce can make with this new toy!

1" belts? no, it takes 2" x 132" belts. The rear idler is adjustable for longer or shorter but I usually just buy 132" long belts. It will take a 1" wide belt as well.
I must have miss read something. I thought you had a fixed speed motor. VS is always best!
Is this monster wheel for 1" belts only?

I really like the color scheme you have chosen. I am looking forward to what Master Bruce can make with this new toy!

1" belts? no, it takes 2" x 132" belts. The rear idler is adjustable for longer or shorter but I usually just buy 132" long belts. It will take a 1" wide belt as well.

The wheels so big and the 132" belt kinda makes it look thin like a 1" belt.
i second a video!

The small wheel on top is 8" and the rear idler is a 14". Its hard to grasp just how big this grinder is. The rear is adjustable and will take a 148" long belt. I see some on ebay but there aren't too many available. The problem now is I can't use the standard length 72" anymore so I may need to build another grinder.

When I was in the Late Bob Loveless's shop in the late 90's he had these extension arms on his Burr king grinders so that they could take the 132" belts. I asked him why he wasn't currently using them? He said that he didn't use them anymore because at the time he could get 2 x 72" belts for so much less per square inch.

For big Bertha the 132" belts make sense but you will probably find the having a 2 x 72" machine will be more economical for a lot of other work.

Most all my belts are 132" and cost less on the bay but if I had to buy them from the manufacturer they cost way too much. I still need the 72" belts usually in the finer grit sizes because they don't seem to plentiful in the 132"

great now my wife will be wondering why I am looking for scrap tank parts!! well maybe she won't think twice but how cool was this whole project thanks for sharing bruce. Chris Roberts

stereo grinder as I see it :D
someone on the contact wheel and someone on the idler
and a spark bucket is barrel size
talking of over pimping a grinder
i like it but it can¨t fit in my workshop

Hey, It very well might be. Do you have a picture of a Bradley IFV?
Looks like a idler wheel off a Bradley IFV.

I googled it and found this: K200 IFV "Infantry Fighting Vehicle"
It looks like it may have the same idlers to me. Its a much lighter vehicle than a tank. Mine is made of aluminum with a steel reinforcement ring which I unriveted and removed.

k200-ifv-infantry-fighting-vehicle1_zps01b02713.jpg

4a7ea504-16a0-4d8c-ba93-0ad6b7be72d8_zps86fc0c64.jpg

Last edited:
Is that Bruce driving that IFV or knife grinder? Maintain world peace and grind knives at the same time! LOL

I am ready for deployment!

Back