Harpoon Bowie in Desert Ironwood

Erin Burke

Good morning Dogs. I just wrapped up this knife over the weekend. I'm calling it a Harpoon Bowie (because it feels like a Bowie)... though I suppose a more appropriate terminology would be a Harpoon Recurve Fighter. This knife has quite a presence, with a thickness of ~0.215" directly in front of the guard... but due to a thin grind and aggressive distal-taper, feels quite manageable. The blade balances out ~0.44" in front of the copper seppa.

The guard, spacer and pin are mild steel with a bit of a gun-blue/bleach/vinegar finish to them up. Inspiration for the deep fluting came thanks to some of Sam Lurquin's recent pieces. :thumbup:

Some Stats:
Length: 16-3/8"
Blade: 10-3/16" (Tip to choil), 0.215" thick at the guard
Weight: 459g (1.01lbs)
Steel: Differentially Heat-Treated W2
Handle: Desert Ironwood Burl w/ domed Mild Steel pin
Fittings: Mild Steel with copper Seppa

9705287745_8b4ef04b06_b.jpg

9705287889_9b59f7b10c_b.jpg

9708522324_8311cfe49f_b.jpg

This next photo is not so great... I had a terrible time getting a good shot of the hamon on the finished knife. It is very active, but I did not etch it super-deep. I wanted to keep the hamon subtle, which means it takes very specific lighting conditions to photograph it.
9705288123_053cf9a063_b.jpg

My original intent was to produce a WIP thread for this knife... but I realized that I hadn't really done anything that hadn't already been explained better in a Wheeler thread somewhere. ;)
If you're interested though, you can explore photos of this build (from sketch to completion) HERE. I tried to include relevant info in the photo descriptions.

Thanks for looking.

Erin

WOW Erin, that's really, really nice. The style isn't exactly for me, but the execution is stunning, and the deep fluting really works.

way cool!!!!!!!!! so nice!!!!!!!! makes me want one im getting my ich back for knife making but havent been able to went cause im building my shop. but sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!

-young pup

Back