Tomahawk and bearded axe WIP

Benr.t

So at this point these are almost done, but I thought I would share my progress so far you guys.
Here are a couple designs I have in the works, let me know what you guys think.
They will made from 3/8" 4140.

The big ones are 16 x 8" , and the little guy is 11 x 5.25" .

So I am making some more progress on these. These are the test pieces I had cut out, to check the feel and measurements, before go for the good steel.
They feel awesome at this point. I have the steel for the axes (4140) and am just waiting on them to be cut, then the sparks can start flying!

The "Skeg axe"

The "Peregrine"

Here is the progress up til now. I don't have pics of every step, but you will get the idea anyway.

I picked up the blanks from being laser cut a couple days ago. Now I just need my huge box of belts for my grinder to get here, and then sparks will be flying! :D

Here I am tapping the holes in the handles for the handle screws.

Cleaning up the profile on a Perigrine. Laser scale is a bear to grind off!

I was able to get a couple of them rough ground this evening. They will be getting a bevel on the top of the spike as well.

I was able to get some of the spikes ground in today.

I have the week off from my day job, so I was able to squeeze in some heat treating this morning!

Hot steel!!

I just finished the Prototype up tonight. The green one is totally done, the Nat canvas one still needs the scales epoxied on.

awesome looking hawks do you mind if I ask where you get the long pieces of micarta for the handles ?

Thanks very much guys!
I finally got a chance to get started on the bearded axes.

Drilling 3/8" thick laser hardened carbon steel, fun stuff!! : )

Grind like CRAZY! :D

Bevels roughen in. The beard will be sharp on these as well.

Here is a variant I am calling the Valkyrie.

I am making some more progress on the big guys.

My brother gave me a hand heat treating them over the weekend. I bought a bigger vertical kiln just for these.

AE9F7234-584D-47B1-A7C6-501B8E9150AF-29632-00001448517EA931_zpsc6d75d57.jpg

They are through hardened, and tempered. I then spring tempered the tang for maximum toughness.

6165DE7E-C763-44F3-ABB1-21BBB9C75E15-29632-000014483B9FA47A_zpsdb0657cf.jpg

Here is one all ready for final glue up.

5D5BCD22-09D9-4F67-8013-DBCDDD4D35C9-30454-0000151E336F0AF5_zps82aba987.jpg

Really impressive work on these hawks. The heat treatment is certainly not for the "faint of heart" thats for sure.
Great designs and so functional.

Thanks very much Bruce. Yeah, this was the first time I was nervous heat treating something in a long time. The kiln worked out awesome. It held temp within 10degrees the whole time. Pretty good for a $200 Craigslist find!

Here is another one I just wrapped up. It was a custom ordered axe, and the customer wanted a Desert Ironwood handle. I was able to acquire this big beautiful piece and am pretty happy at how the whole thing came together.

On a side note, photographing these big axes has been pretty tricky too. I can just barely squeeze them in my light tent!!

Last edited:
Bro that maple one is the bomb and the bearded ax model is wicked cool. Pretty darn thick too. Can't imagine anything getting in their way.

Back