Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Forging along with uncle Ray

Harry, I like that! As perfect as the one Charlie has I'm thinking it just looks to good to be done by hand although I could be wrong. Thanks for taking the photo's.

Mathsr Guest
    He probably had some kind of dies to do the rib, but there are enough imperfections and line shifts to make me think that it was done by hand when you look at it close. He also could have had a file or two, they have been around about as long as spears, but I would guess that the majority of the work on it is by hand.

There is not much doubt that the work on mine is by hand. I figure that it was probably cleaned up with a stone. You can still feel the impressions (I call them dents) where the hammer hit all up and down the blade and nothing is straight on it at all.

I am going to try to get a picture next week of one that Charlie has that is even better in my opinion although not as complicated. It is long, slender, graceful and well finished, but I also think it is hand made.

Let me know if you want me to quit. I like spears and wish I had the talent with a hammer to do this kind of work. Knives I can do....a socket is something I would have to think about for some time before starting.
    Last edited by Mathsr; 10-16-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Don't quit! Your doing just fine.........

I was thinking dies also on that latest one. I'm enjoying seeing what your showing.

Mathsr Guest
    This is the last one. It is from the same time period as the others. Supposedly the time of the Zulu wars, but again who knows for sure. It is at least 30 years old because Charlie has had it that long. Overall length of the spear head is 23 inches. The blade is 14 inches long with a 9 inch socket. The blade is 1 1/4 inches wide at the widest point and about 1/8 inch thick. The blade is flat in cross section with the edge being shaped almost like a Scandinavian knife. The edges taper back into the socket and form two sides of the octagon shaped socket. I thought that was a kind of neat trick and it looks good too. These spear heads are deliberately soft so they would not snap in use but would bend. The shafts were expendable but the heads could be straightened and re used. From the marks on the blades they all appear to have been sharpened often. They all have rather dull points with sharp edges. On a few of the critters I've stuck, they penetrated very easily which surprised me.

Harry, I was wondering about them being heat treated or not. What you just told me makes sense. Again I really appreciate the pictures and the explanations! I've thought all along that the spearheads were made with what ever they had found. I'll have to forge one out of a piece of mild steel and see how it holds up. Iron form a wagon wheel will work well.

Moved this thread so I could find it easier.........
    http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

You have plans Ray? Merry Christmas by the way! Thought of you yesterday since it's such a special day for me, probably you too...
    Dave

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Website

Quote Originally Posted by ddavelarsen View Post
    You have plans Ray? Merry Christmas by the way! Thought of you yesterday since it's such a special day for me, probably you too...
    Dave, Thanks for the thoughts. Actually we did have a nice Christmas. My daughter and husband and the two granddaughters are here. There the ones from Tokyo.

I really don't have any plans for spears but I like to look at this thread when I can find it. I did start doing a little forging on another spoontune tomahawk last week. Moving very slow with that. Most the ideas I get would work better for a younger man.
    http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789