Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: no belt grinder how to convex?

Question no belt grinder how to convex?

i use a side grinder & files so on how can i convex a grind by hand?

You can file the top third of the knife at 10-20 degrees depending on how tall of a blade, and then the bottom third of the knife at a corresponding degree then round the middle with a file to match.

For finishing, I used corrugated cardboard with sandpaper and rolled the knife. It a lot of hand work but you can achieve a smooth symmetrical grind and finish with patience and a large can of elbow grease.

I hope this helps, I am sure there are other ways to do this without a grinder?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I filed the edge like I would to get a flat grind by draw filing. I used a sanding block to finish the flats to 120 then a soft sanding block to sand the rest of the blade, I started from the flat and progressed to the beveled area and it made it curved. I got quite a nice Appleseed grind.
    Those that do not remember history are bound to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamLynch View Post
    I filed the edge like I would to get a flat grind by draw filing. I used a sanding block to finish the flats to 120 then a soft sanding block to sand the rest of the blade, I started from the flat and progressed to the beveled area and it made it curved. I got quite a nice Appleseed grind.
    Liam's method sound easier than what I did years ago. The cross section of a apple seed is what we are after here.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

You don't even have to try, it happened by accident when I did it but I wasn't complaining. You can use the handle of the file to keep the angle roughly the same. Part of the reason it goes convex is the irregularity in filing though. I guess if you used precision equipment it would be slightly flat in areas but you can barely notice, it feels like a smooth curve.
    Those that do not remember history are bound to repeat it.

I use an automotive sanding disc, I have used this on axes and on knives. I convexed an RTAK for a friend with nothing more than a drill and the automotive sanding disc attachment.