First Frame lock WIP(kind of)

NPD

Well i will like to show you something new I'm working with at the moment , now this is my first try to make a titanium frame lock and still needs a lot of work to do. So far i have cut and give shape to the blade and to the ti scales, next is to cut the lock, and put the stop pin in place, after that it will be time to grind the blade and make it ready for HT. I forgot to mention that the ti frame will have a sand blast look.
well here you go i hope you like it and any comments are welcome.
NP

framlock1.jpg

framelock2.jpg

framelock3.jpg

framelock4.jpg

framelock5.jpg

framelock6.jpg

There are a bunch of us knife makers Down Under building this knife for a casual build off on the Australian Blade Forums. Come have a look at all the builds everyone is doing http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/forumdisplay.php?96-Knife-Build-Offs. It started when one of the members there (rslt) put up a pic of his folder design and we all loved it so much we asked him if he would mind us building some copies of it so we ended up having a build off. It is a great idea for people learning to make folders. Come check out the other ones people have been doing and if you were ever thinking about making a folder feel free to join in yourself.

Alistair

Ok here we go after a long time waiting the parts for the folder are here and i managed to squeeze a little extra time for the knife today, got the stop pin i place, and i have put the blade in the open and closed position, then i have cut the lock bar and drill a hole for the detent ball, next i have to cut the relief notch to the liner, and after that i will start to grind the blade.

framelock7.jpg

framelock13.jpg

framelock12.jpg

framelock9.jpg

framelock10.jpg

framelock11.jpg

Looking at the pictures, it looks like he drilled a hole at each end, and used an abrasive cutoff wheel chucking into his drill press to "slot" the liner and join the holes.

Then he rotated 90 degrees and cut the slot for the lock face.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like he drilled a hole at each end, and used an abrasive cutoff wheel chucking into his drill press to "slot" the liner and join the holes.

That's how I see a lot of them do it, but his cut is so nice and clean, I was thinking it may have been cut another way. Many of the ones I see cut with a cut off wheel are kinda jagged and not clean looking...or at least not until they're cleaned up!! :)

Well that is exactly the way i did it. i could not say it better.

That's how I see a lot of them do it, but his cut is so nice and clean, I was thinking it may have been cut another way. Many of the ones I see cut with a cut off wheel are kinda jagged and not clean looking...or at least not until they're cleaned up!! :)

I've used abrasive wheels AND slotting saws and had success with both. A lot of it depends on quality of drill/mill and running the proper speeds. (Slow for saw, fast for abrasive)

You also want to take very light passes and let the abrasive wheel(s) do the work.

Too much pressure and you'll chatter or kick back.

I use a bit of cutting fluid as well, which improves quality of cut and helps keep everything cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today i managed to squeeze a little time for the knife, and i have grind the blade and make some jimping on the lock bar.
to be continued stay tuned.
framelock14.jpg

framelock15.jpg

framelock16.jpg

framelock17.jpg

ok here we have an update for this folder, so far i have cut the relief notch to the liner, put the detent ball in place and drill the hole to the blade, the next i have to do it's to clean and sharpen the blade and sand blast the frame.
To be continued stay tuned.

framelock18.jpg

framelock19.jpg

framelock20.jpg

framelock21.jpg

framelock22.jpg

framelock23.jpg

framelock24.jpg

And finally the scales came back from the sand blasting today, so here it is.
I hope you like it.
Thanks for looking
NP
framelock25.jpg

framelock26.jpg

framelock27.jpg

framelock28.jpg

framelock29.jpg

framelock30.jpg

framelock31.jpg

Back