My Disk Grinder WIP

backtines

So I wanted to build my own disk grinder and really didnt know exactly what I needed ( spec wise ). With the help of our very own Josh Dabney , he was able to tell me exactly what motor and controller I needed to do this job .

My brother Frankie owns a manufactoring facility called Fradan Manufactoring ( he manufactors leaf blowers and lawn and garden equiptment) . He and his son Danny designed the base plate for me and actually drew up the image of the machine on his CAD. It was pretty cool to see what it was going to look like with all the specs , before we actually built it ..

So thank you to brother Frank , nephew Dan, and good friend Josh Dabney .. Thanks Guys

Here are a few pics of Danny Drawing it up on his CAD.. .

This is what it will look like when done , maybe not blue.

Base bent up and welded

Heres the base painted up

When I get home tonight , Ill reassemble it and post some pics with the finished job ..

Mikey
I believe you will be AMAZED at the capabilities this machine will give you! I know I was!
Great build, thanks for sharing.

God Bless
Mike

Mikey,
Are you using a flat or 3% beveled disk for this baby? The 3 degree bevel allows you to work the blades from both sides of the wheel.

Also, Tell us the spec's on the motor and controller if you don't mind?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Mikey,
Are you using a flat or 3% beveled disk for this baby? The 3 degree bevel allows you to work the blades from both sides of the wheel.

Also, Tell us the spec's on the motor and controller if you don't mind?

Laurence

Hey Laurence, It came out nice and this thing runs smooth and beautiful . Ver nice .. The Disk I bought from Beaumont . It has I believe a 1% or it may be 3% not sure , but it is beveled.. Im also goning to build another one that stands up verticle for doing scales and other flats . It just opened up so many more doors because it has variable speed and a forward and reverse switch.

Below are the controller specs as well as motor and reverse switch. Josh Dabney helped me alot on figuring out which components to buy. Im gonna have 2 machines for the price of one .

http://www.kb-controls.com/KBAC-24D-...Black-9987.htm
http://www.kb-controls.com/9480-KBAC...witch-9480.htm

Last edited:
Hey Mikey,
That thing looks good, what kind of tool rest are you going to build?

Hey Cal, at the moment I wasn't planning on building a rest.. We'll see how it goes for now . It's so awesome how you can slow this motor down to almost nothing and have good power and stability.. I'm lovin it so far.

Back