Started my KITH knife- WIP

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
I found a very nice Heller Rasp to make this knife out of...

1363116602841.jpg

Now the work...

1363116602438.jpg 1363116599869.jpg 1363116598019.jpg 1363116596338.jpg

Still a lot of work to go. I have the rest of the week kinda full with family, spring break, and all. I will update this as I go along over the next few weeks.

Well I only got an hour to work on my knife this weekend but, I got a couple of days (God & the Wife Willing) this week that I can work on it. All I got done was the rough profiling before final forging. The fire and steel banging up next.

RoughProfile-lres.jpg

Till later in the week...

George,
Quit teasing us and get on with it.:001_rolleyes: Looking good so far and looking forward to more pics.
Wade

Wade, no fun in doing it fast. I have had a few family matters to handle that came up after I started this but, I got some work done today...

...so here it is...

FingerGuard001.jpg FingerGuard002.jpg HandleGrind.jpg Bevel.jpg

Hammering Finger guard, shaping handle, starting bevel grind

RtSideBevel.jpg LfSideBevel.jpg Drilling.jpg

Finsh bevel grinds, drilling holes in handle

RtReady 2HT.jpg LfReady 2HT.jpg

Ready for heat treat.

Now time to pick wood for handle...

Babinga.jpg SpaultedCherry.jpg EastIndianRosewood.jpg CurlyMaple.jpg

Babinga, Spaulted Cherry, E. Indian Rosewood, Curly Maple

I am kinda liking the Curly Maple or Spaulted Cherry...

Last edited:
I selected the ones labeled spaulted cherry for the handle scales (I got this in a labeled bulk buy of wood last year). This is strangest spaulted wood I have worked with yet. No soft areas so I am treating it as my regular wood scales. Also I believe a knife for this type of project should have something you never tried before. So, my first try at a hamon line. I have watched my friend Bola do it several times and have even come up with a mixture of kitty litter clay mixed with vermiculite that works nicely for him. Here goes...

scales-001.jpg scales-002.jpg scales-003.jpg
scales-004.jpg scales-005.jpg scales-006.jpg

I keep my old drill bits to use as index reference pins for my handle scales. This makes lining up the holes and the grinding easier for me.

Hamon-001.jpg Hamon-002.jpg Hamon-003.jpg

And now into the vinegar to remove the forging scale a bit...

Last edited:
Franklin, a first hamon, not sure it will be there when I finish. Trying for it. Going to check out the vinegar tank to see how it looks.

Thank you Wade, these Neo looking knives are something that I saw for the first time with Bola and you. They are fun to try and get to look right!

Three 2 hour cycles at 420 degrees in the oven:

Oven.jpg

Now for the handle, and appling the scales. I have no planned look, just going to do what feels right to me...

Handling-001.jpg Handling-002.jpg Handling-003.jpg

Handling-004.jpg Handling-005.jpg Handling-006.jpg

Handling-007.jpg Handling-008.jpg Handling-009.jpg

Post Limit for photos...

The rest of what I have completed so far...

Handling-0010.jpg Handling-0011.jpg

Brass tacks, leather wrap, and 6 coats of Tru-Oil later handle starting to look like I want it. 5 to 6 coats more to go...

Handling-0012-2.jpg

Now got to start thinking about a sheath. I have only tried on other sheath in this style. Time to do a little research and see what I can come up with to try.

(not sure why attachments did not show on second post, I reworked them in photoshop and they look like they are showing in preview)

Last edited:
Knife ready for Arnold to mark. Sending it out Monday morning to him. This concludes the WIP. When I get it back and finish the sheath I will post the final photo. I am very slow on sheath making as I have not made many. Too slow to do aWIP on the process.

B4Engraving-2a.jpg

(having problems with attachment)

Last edited:
Back