Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three for Little Rock

Awesome trip Ray! Welcome back.

Dave

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Website

Glad you had a good trip Ray. It was great to finally have the opportunity to catch up with you and shake your hand.
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by murphda2 View Post
    Glad you had a good trip Ray. It was great to finally have the opportunity to catch up with you and shake your hand.
    Murph, Think I remember meeting you. You really need to make sure you get my attention and then sometimes I will remember. Old guys with short or no hair usually have memories that match.

Dave, Thanks for the welcome back! You would have enjoy this show.
    http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

Sounds like a good trip. What kind of handle material did you trade a whole knife for?!?!? Does it start with "i" and end with "vory?" : )

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Killgore View Post
    Sounds like a good trip. What kind of handle material did you trade a whole knife for?!?!? Does it start with "i" and end with "vory?" : )
    Peter, I was tempted with the ivory but I ended up getting 3 piece of the south end of a walrus. A half dozen pieces of sambar stage and two foot long piece of African blackwood. I would have went for the ivory but they just weren't what I wanted shape wise. The 3 piece of osic are perfect shape for handles.

Raymond, I do the same thing! Always blow my wad on handle materials. Sounds like you scored some really nice stuff!
    Dave

Website

Quote Originally Posted by ddavelarsen View Post
    Raymond, I do the same thing! Always blow my wad on handle materials. Sounds like you scored some really nice stuff!
    Dave, Even if I don't use it I know how knives makers are. I can most likely sell it to one of us for double its value. Bad thing about the osic is I got a feeling it may find its way into some dye. The fellows that sellsl supplies at shows usually have a good show with the captive audience.

I found a so-so piece of oosic on eBay once that I still have. Maybe I'll try the dye idea on that someday too; never thought about that. Do you polish it before dying or after? And what kind of dye do you use? I'm still waiting for a project for it, but when I do I think dying it might be just right since it doesn't have much in the way of surface interest at all.
    Dave

Website

Dave, I find its best to have the handle done before I let it soak. I use the most common brand of leather dye except I am having a senior moment. They offer an alcohol base and a spirit base or oil dye. The oil dye works best for me. Also if you have scrap of the material your wanting to color do a test piece first. The dying works sometimes and then it doesn't. Keep track of the time you allow it to soak in case you don't want it to get to dark. Good thing I didn't have a full head of hair because I would have killed it anyway by dying it.

Okay, I think I have the right dye, but it's black. Haven't been able to find the spirit based in brown locally at all. May have to order some, if that's what you use. Do you use brown rather than black? And yeah, testing is a good idea; I might not have done that.
    Dave

Website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast