Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three for Little Rock

Three for Little Rock

I've been busy making knives and sheaths for the Little Rock Show the weekend of the 16th and 17th of February. Here's 3 I just finished up. The larger knife has a bullet wood handle. I was wanting to use ebony but I discovered a crack in the last piece I had on hand so I went with a second handle out of a dark piece of iron wood. Almost had that handle done and noticed a crack in it so I went with the bullet wood. Was wanting to change the color of the bullet wood but after soaking it for 24 hours in black oil dye I later found out the color was just on the surface. I'm actually finding the color of the bullet wood fairly attractive. This knife I modeled after the Midnight Fighter except this one only has a 6" blade. Also have a stag handled skinner and a forge finished iron cross knife. All 3 knives are out of O-1.

http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

Good lookin' knives there, Ray! It's nice to see some new stuff from you. I was beginning to worry. I like how the bullet wood turned out. I have a piece of it out in the shop but I don't think it's big enough to do a whole handle, maybe a spacer. How did the O-1 behave? I recall you saying it's not your favorite thing to work with just because of its tendency to warp. That dagger sure is the coolest thing ever. How'd you do the cross?

Peter, I've always heard O-1 was a good beginner steel but that's when I had the most problems with it. Now its just been fine or my eyes can't spot the warps anymore. I've been working on several knives at the same time. That's why I haven't been posting lately. Originally when I forged the little dag I was hoping to make the cross and knife all one piece but had problems shaping the cross. I made the cross out of iron and drilled and tapped it. I ended up making the original cross into a small tail and then threaded it. It was much easier shaping the cross when it was a separate piece.

Good stuff Ray! I like the bullet wood too, though I have to admit that's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. Good luck at the show!
    Dave

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Website

Quote Originally Posted by ddavelarsen View Post
    Good stuff Ray! I like the bullet wood too, though I have to admit that's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. Good luck at the show!
    Dave, I was thinking I slipped these 3 past you. The bullet wood has taken me a while to get use to. I do like it now. I say that about all the completed knives I have made. Bullet wood or bamboo.

That's because you're a true artist, and can make all your materials speak, regardless.
    Dave

Website

By the way, you did slip all but the dagger by me!
    Dave

Website

I'm looking forward to seeing these in person this weekend!
    Allen

newberryknives.com

(formerly mrnewberry)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Newberry View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing these in person this weekend!
    Allen, see you in a few days! I hope there's as many customers as table holders.......

Arrived back in Oregon about noon on Tuesday. Very worn out but you could still see somewhat of a smile on my face. Had a few sales at the show and traded a knife for handle material which I do not need. I couldn't resist since the temptation was the table opposite of mine. Lots of folks waiting to enter the show Saturday morning but seemed have spent there money before they reached my table. Did get to visit with some long time friends and made a few new ones. Also put a deposit down on next years table.

I left here at O darkthirty Wednesday the 13th and arrived in Texas to spend a couple days with my friend Eli who is the head pastor at Chi Alpha in Sam Houston University. Wednesday night I was doing a hand forging demo for 80 to 100 college boys who stayed to watch the whole thing. There was an offer of free food which was served after the planned events so I'm sure that had something to do for the higher numbers than I expected.

When I was in Little Rock I stayed with an old high school friend that lives in North Little Rock. Ate a lot of pizza since he and his wife own 4 pizza stores. Ended my time there fishing for stripers Monday and did catch a small 10 pounder. I hear the average one is around 20. I introduced myself as Big Fish Ray, the name I was given by the fellows I fish with here in Oregon. I told them I was a good luck charm but more like a double edged sword. If I catch the first fish that is usually it on the catching and that was how it went there. I plan on doing that again next year beside spending a few more days.

Now to get rested up.
    Last edited by Raymond Richard; 02-21-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast