latest build using old world tool.

slatercreek

Haven't posted in some time. Haven't built too many knives either. 2012 was a terrible year as far as drought. Worked our tails off keeping livestock on feed what little of that there was. Blessed with a new son on my birthday back in November. Between that a filling other custom orders knives have taken a back burner. Anyway the following photos are almost a tutorial on using a two legged parser. Took a shot in the dark and it works like a charm. Not to sharp on the computer looks like the photos will load out of order. I think you will get the point. Hollow ground wharncliffe.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 134
Sorry Forget finished knife photos

It turned out ok. I am my worst critic. Always striving to be better.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 63
Ever since I saw one of these parsers I've thought of trying my hand a making one. Did you make this one yourself? I think it turned out quite well. How did you spin it?

Very nice knife. Clean design and great blade. The shield looks really nice. What is the scale material?

Jay

Yes I made this tool myself. It was made out of a 1/4 inch spring steel rod scavenged out of a baler. I discovered that a hand drill works just fine to run this. The handle is dyed bone.

Where did you get your template? I have always wanted to try this. What size is the template?

In answer to previous question. Maybe several. Template is made from hardened 1095. You can drill a hole or a couple then attack it with your needle files to get desired shield shape. Then harden the template. As some of you are probably aware the seems to be little no information on parsers. Funny you spend the better part of a day building a tool out of curiosity that performs a function that takes less than five minutes. For me it's all about the challenge.

That is an awesome tool. I have never seen before but I am going to have to make one and try it some time.

.Say there, slatercreek, that was a great tutorial, and you came up with a super looking folder !!! Would you please give us a few pictures of the sparser itself? Frank

I realize it may be just a split piece of spring steel shaped , and the hand drill is that one of those old "brace" types or what? Sizes would of course really help. Thanks for any reply. Frank

In reply to Mr. Niro's question. The Parser is made from one piece of quarter in spring steel scavenged from an old baler. It was then folded in half. The legs of the parser were then drawn flat probably 3/8 wide. I am pretty simple minded though a brace would work better I just chucked it up in an electric hand drill. Slow and steady wins the race. To fast when you start usually results in the bone chipping at the surface. After that you can speed up a little.

Back