Blacksmiths Guillotine

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
I thought some of the heat and beat guys might like this, especially the broke ones like me:). I wanted to make a guillotine for drawing out tangs and to use as a hot cut, I might even try roughing in a fuller with it.

Before I start I’m no welder or engineer so this is the way I built mine. I’m not saying this is the way it should be done and if this tool fails during use it could hurt you. So in short if you are not comfortable building this don't, get someone at a local welding shop to do it for you. Now with that out of the way let the fun start.

I scrounged a plate 3/4 “ thick for the base. Some 3/8”x2” flat bar a little 1/2” square stock and some 1/2” x 1 1/2” flat bar for dies. The side plates are 3”x6”x3/8” I cut a notch out of each leaving a 1 1/4” at the bottom and 2” at the top. I like to mark and drill holes in the corners than use a zip disk on my grinder to cut the long sides, zip disks don't turn corners well.
IMG_0784.jpg

Here is a tip I tack weld the side plates together before grinding and cutting so they are the same, saves a lot of measuring.
IMG_0786.jpg

Once they are cut and ground out I use a piece of angle to clamp one side plate in place for welding.
IMG_0787.jpg

I make sure that side plate is square because everything else is built off of it. I use my stock for the dies as spacers so I can weld the other side on.
IMG_0788.jpg

When I made the boxes to hold my dies I wrapped the die stock with two layers of paper (Never liked food land flyers anyways) CAUTION This will catch on fire if you use my methods. A little fire dose not bother me.
IMG_0790.jpg

Once I had my boxes built (one 1 1/4” bottom and one 2” for the top) I slid the die stock through the both of them and made sure everything was lined up. I like to make sure everything is welded good because I’m going to pound on this tool (uncontrolled steel in flight is not a good thing, trust me)
IMG_0792.jpg

Here she is all glued together
IMG_0795.jpg

Notice the arrow? It is so easy to weld something on upside down and it will be the strongest and best weld you ever run.
IMG_0797.jpg

I made two sets of dies so far the ones in the above picture are rounded for drawing out. The next set are square for setting nice shoulders.
IMG_0798.jpg

I have not finished the hot cut set yet. I tapered the edges of my dies so if they flare I can still get them out of the guillotine without grinding them. I did not see the point in using carbon steel because the hot metal will take any temper out of them after the first use. Hopefully this will help someone

Feel free to make fun of my welding, it may not be pretty but it will hold.:)

Back