Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand forging a little dagger

Hand forging a little dagger

Anymore me doing a little thing turns out to be a bigger job than I planned but since that is now the way things are I'll just go along with it.

The first photo is the preform I forged to shape the day before I started this project.

This photo was taken after I forged the bevel on 1/2 of the blade.

In this photo I forged the second bevel.

This photo was taken after I spent more time forging on both bevels. Most of the hammering was done with the cross peen on a 3 pound hammer and was later cleaned up with the flat face of a 16 ounce ball peen hammer.

The last photo is looking down on one of the beveled edges.

http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

Lookin' good! Wish I could have done a little more forging while I was home. I had to come on back to Corvallis yesterday so I'm being forced to take a little break. Is this guy going to be left forge finished?

Looks good so far. I would imagine that forging this type of blade would be very difficult.
    Eric Troyer
    Lagrange Custom Knives
    lagrangecustomknives@embarqmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Killgore View Post
    Lookin' good! Wish I could have done a little more forging while I was home. I had to come on back to Corvallis yesterday so I'm being forced to take a little break. Is this guy going to be left forge finished?
    Peter, Figured you were back at school. Keep your nose to the grind stone. As far as this dagger goes I do plan to leave the blade forge finished. Think I may add some thin scales on the handle. I'll add some more photo's tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagrange View Post
    Looks good so far. I would imagine that forging this type of blade would be very difficult.
    Eric, The dagger blades are pretty tricky to forge. It took me several years of trail and error before I started to understand the process. I still enjoy the hand forging the most. Just can't do it for long periods of time now.

Very sweet looking knife Ray! I must say this is very interesting to me. The forged edge pic looks great; you get the edge pretty thin but uniform and straight, something that just seems like magic to me. I'm looking forward to your progress on this project! Thanks for sharing your work so far.

Dave
    Dave

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Website

Here's a few more photo's. Godzilla got to earn his keep this time.

Last edited by Raymond Richard; 01-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Looking good Ray! Now I'm curious what you're going to put on that handle... Keep me guessing!
    Dave

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Website

What a fun WIP! It amazes me how that "tail" material was pulled out. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by kimsalls View Post
    What a fun WIP! It amazes me how that "tail" material was pulled out. Thanks for sharing.
    Kim, as many times that I have done something like this I'm still amazed at how little steel is needed when it is forged out. Originally when I forged the tail I had something else in mind but then I found out I couldn't do what I was wanting. Just to many bends in what I was wanting to make so I cut most of the tail off and went with what is there now.

Here's an old photo I took in October of 09. At the time I was into making socketed spearheads. I wanted to show the many shapes the spearhead became while I was hand forging it. There was probably 10 to 20 minutes between each time I traced the work on the big sliding door of my shop. Forging the blade of the spearhead is exactly the same as forging a dagger.

If you look at 10 I had just forged the bevel on the one side. 11 I had forged the second bevel which had straightened the blade out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast