Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: My new mower

My new mower

Been thinking about having a back up plan for when the riding mower breaks down and now I have solved that problem. Just need to train myself to use it.

Wishing now that I would have done more research before I started this blade mainly because it was forged from a 1/4" think piece of leaf spring. Thinner material would have saved a lot of work. I ended up with a 20" scythe blade. Something I have always wanted.

This photo was taken after heat treat. Also starting think these scythe blade were left soft since part of the sharpening process is peening down the edge before sharpening with a wet stone.
    http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

That sure is a neat cutting instrument. : ) How did you do the socket? It doesn't look forge welded. Did you use a drift?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Killgore View Post
    That sure is a neat cutting instrument. : ) How did you do the socket? It doesn't look forge welded. Did you use a drift?
    Peter, The socket was how the leaf spring mounted to the car frame. I just used it as it was.
    http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

That's clever. Less steel to move is always nice.

You look like the Grim Reaper with that bad boy over your shoulder Ray! It sure looks cool. And I really dig the handle; that's just what an original scythe would have had too. We found an old hoe at a garage sale that has a branch for a handle too; no telling how old it is but it's just cool like your scythe. Not as mean looking though. Another great project!
    Dave

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Website

You obviously need a staring role in a New Year's parade with that outfit and toy
    Just a cat in the dog pound,

Dan Pierson