Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: Elk and colobolo

Elk and Cocobolo

It's been a long time since I finished a knife... This one has been sitting on my bench for over a year waiting to be finished. I finally had the time/wasn't recovering from surgery so it is now done! The handle is elk antler with a cocobolo spacer. Not sure what the blade is... It's either plow steel or 5160 from a leaf spring. Fittings are wrought iron. Comments/critique are very welcome! I know the second picture isn't all that great but it shows the temperline a bit better which is why I attached it. Not sure why the temperline ended up where it did... It should have been about half an inch back from the cutting edge for the whole length of the blade... oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Killgore; 12-20-2012 at 02:12 PM.

I really like the shape of this knife and transition of guard to blade recasso area, and choice of materials. Looks to be a groove at guard spacer joint?

It's one you want to pick up and feel the fit.

Great Faith, Great Doubt, Great Effort

the three qualities necessary for training

Slideshow of my Knives and Sheaths

Mark, it looks like there's a groove but there's not. They butt up tight with each other but I like to round off the edges of each piece. I tend to like the feel of it and if I do goof on the alignment, this makes it a lot less noticeable.

Thanks Peter,
    Any considerations using Elk antler? I have some but haven't tried it yet.

Mark

Great Faith, Great Doubt, Great Effort

the three qualities necessary for training

Slideshow of my Knives and Sheaths

Mark,
    I don't have many tips for working with antler... If you're doing a through tang, you'll need to drill it from both sides unless you're working with a straight piece. For finishing, I like to sand it lightly with some 600 grit paper to clean it up then go over it with 0000# steel wool for a smooth finish. A little carnuba wax makes for a nice gloss when you're done.

Peter

Peter, This knife turned out fine. Now about your style, I'm sure I have seen it before.
    http://www.hawknknives.com/

Second chances don't stop at two.....

Thanks Ray! As for style, I know this knife maker who's amazing at what he does and I tend to really like his style...

I was going to comment in the knife's beautiful ancestry, but now I see it's out in the open. Nice work Peter! Had you clay coated that blade, expecting a different temper line? Just curious. I like the way it looks, and that's a nice combination of materials.
    Dave

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Website

I had clay coated the blade. This is the second time I've done a clay coat and had the temperline show up back from the edge of the clay... Not sure if it's the steel or what. I did just do another blade from what I think is the same steel this is out of. I might have the finish done today so I'll go ahead and etch to see where the temper line lies on it. Thanks for the compliments!