Knife #2 wip

Daffy

Design Critique

So after I finished my first knife about 2 months ago and then decided I needed more stuff. So I had a period of down time where I was waiting for my materials to come in and I had to step up a small spot to work. During that time I drew more then a few designs up. I think 90% of which I'll never use but this one seemed like it would make a good shop (utility?) knife. Please let me know what you think of it. I'm thinking of making a few of them as I hear repetition is the best way to learn but would hate to waste more materials if this design is deemed flawed in some way.

It will be ~7" oal 1/8" thick Aldo's 1095. I may para-cord wrap the handle.

Knife2_zps73f28272.jpg

Knife2a_zps4f0d9f70.jpg

John

Last edited:
Looks like a good starting point to me. You are right the the more you do the better you get. I would get some mild steel from one of the big hardware stores and practice on a few from that junk to bring up my skills then start on good Aldo 1095. I have use paint stirring sticks to design with also.

One of my first designs, after wood it went to the recycle bin:

IMAG0552.jpg

One of my recent knives:

IMAG0045.jpg

Looking good. I don't see anything wrong with this design. I actually bought a couple of templates from Tracy at usakinfemakers that look very similar to your design that I'm putting wooden handles on to give away as gifts. They have a pretty nice feel to them and since they are small it makes them very easy to carry. The other good thing about this design is since it is small, shouldn't take that much time to make which means you can make more of these with less amount of time than a larger knife.

That's a very nice grind you did on that knife too!

Back