Turned billet 90 to make crushed "W"
DSC01613.JPG

W's drawn out cut into sections.
DSC01619.JPG

W's are starting to show.
DSC01630.JPG

Last weld before the cleave. 112 layers of "W"

DSC01642.JPG

I dry weld billets. This is the carbon jacket left behind after the final weld.
DSC01638.JPG

Heating the billet after the final weld so it can be squared in the press before cleaving.
DSC01643.JPG

Here is the billet being cleaved in two.
DSC01648.JPG

The finished flat stock is 6 x 1 5/16 x 3/16. For me feather pattern is a crap shoot, always full of surprises.
DSC01651.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe a crap shoot but you sure nailed that one Fred. It's a beauty :)

Got ya added for the December WIP drawing.

Take care,

-Josh

That's just plain COOL! Often time I wish my press had a much longer throw, so I could make some long billets of feather.....by the time I get the billet and cutter in there, about 4" is the max I can "cut-n-feather".

You nailed that one Fred! It's beautiful!

That's just plain COOL! Often time I wish my press had a much longer throw, so I could make some long billets of feather.....by the time I get the billet and cutter in there, about 4" is the max I can "cut-n-feather".

You nailed that one Fred! It's beautiful!

Four inches is the limit for me too, my forges exit holes are 4 inches.

What amazes me is the size of the billet you have to start with in order to end up with anything big enough to make a pocket knife blade. On this one I figure I ended up with maybe 40 percent of what I started with. I think you have to enjoy the challenge.
Thanks for the comments guys, Fred

Fred it is beautiful even though I did not understand how you did it. Being a stock removal guy for over 20 years leaves a lot of things I wish I had learned. Going to start here soon just for the experience.
Have all the equipment just never thought it was for me, now just learning would be fun even if I don't use it.
Thanks for the WIP it is great and a beautiful piece of steel in the end.

Percy

Back