Old Hatchet Refinish

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Reconditioned this hatchet for a friend as a Christmas present to his brother, who is a guide. It is a Fulton, which was a Sears store brand in early 1900's. Clear coated it and made the sheath. He sent these "befores" so thought would share...

BHbefore2.jpg

BH2.jpg

BH1.jpg

Ausbrooks,
Very nice!!! I really like your head cover too. You do a GREAT job, of bringing the old back to new.
Did you use the same handle????? If not. I look at that old hatchet handle and think of what it has seen and hope that it didn't get thrown away because it could have a new life too.
Again, very nice work.

Wade

Last edited:
Darn, that thing looks new again! Wonderful job~ I also am curious if you re-used the handle. It looks new too.

Thanks Wade and Eric for the nice remarks- refinishing things like this bring instant gratification and don't have near the work as building a knife. I didn't reuse the handle as he bought a new handle and wanted it put on. Seeing pictures of old handle I think it would have cleaned up and had some character to it and looked more interesting, but guess he wanted a user and didn't give it to me. Would have been fun to do a leather wrap or ?

Thanks Shappa, I sand blasted to clean up the factory letter stamping, then took it to 600 grit on grinder.

Back