Grinder in progress

KenH

Hello all, I'm in the process of building a 2"X72" grinder based on the KMG grinder, and have made good use of the grinder plans by Mike Clerc: http://www.metalwebnews.com/manuals/knife-grinder.pdf

I have the platen setup with a 2" aluminum wheel at top and bottom of platen support

I have two questions here.

1. When adjusting the Platen support with the Platen mounted - Just how much clearance should there be between the platen and back of belt? I'm thinking the belt should just "kiss" the face of platen putting only a slight pressure (1/32" interference?). OR should it have a bit more pressure just sitting there? Or just clearing platen when not running?

2. When adjusting the tracking wheel to get belt to run in center of drive pulley and other wheels, the tracking wheel is angled down rather than looking level. Is that an issue? If so, what could be some of the causes? By adjusting the tracking wheel, I can move the belt from side to side on the wheels.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.... (I need all the guidance I can get<:)

Ken H>

OK, I think I've solved the problems - the idler/tensioner wheel is now fairly level. The tension arm had a bit of slop in the pivot point - once that's tighten it seems ok.

The platten plate does seem to be good with belt just "kissing" the platten.

Seems to be working ok for the stage of grinder.

Ken H>

I use a large plastic speed square to adjust my platen , I set mine to where the face of the platen is at the same height as the face of the wheels.

Thanks Dwane - that is what I was thinking on the platten also - by sitting at the same height as wheels, that should put the back of belt just "kissing" the platten. I had not thought about using a square - or any good straight edge to hold against face of wheels to adjust the platten. A buddy had suggested having the platten holding pressure against back of belt. He's not used a 2X72" belt grinder anymore than I have - never.

Thanks again for the help,

Ken H>

Back