Farm machinery-could have been a bowie-going to be a dirk project.

Fred Rowe

I've made one Scottish dirk for this gentleman; it was made from a 1880's McCormick's reaper, seat bracket. The other day my customer dropped this torch cut, someone made a start at a Bowie shape, chunk of steel at my shop, asking if I could make it into another dirk. He liked the first one. I said I'd see what I could do. I ground the torch cut profile off and got down to the steel. I did a spark test and it told me there was enough carbon to make a good blade. I was ready to forge. The pics show the progression during forging. The forged dirk is 1/4 at the shoulders by 2 inches wide and 16 inches long measured from the shoulders.

He told me he'd cut the steel off another piece of farm machinery that he'd found at his grandfather's old farm.
His great grandfather had come over from Scotland and had told his son stories about the country, that he in turn, had passed on to his son, my customer. This is why he wanted the dirks; something with a connection to Scotland that he could pass on to his children. A nice sentiment, I thought.

DSC01589.JPG

DSC01592.JPG

DSC01593.JPG

DSC01594.JPG

I have the blade surfaced on one side to make it easier to blue and mark.

DSC01608.JPG

The profile is finished, with the tang centered. Time to surface the rough side; then get ready to torch heat the area to the rear of the plunge and peen it, for a forged finish. The spine will be done too.

DSC01611.JPG

I have a five degree rough grind finished with the edge at .0045. The plunge lines are straight. I noticed there was a slight bend along the edge after I had the edge developed. I think I just missed it after the forging. I heated the section up with the bend in it and straightened it on the big Fisher's flat surface.
DSC01656.JPG

DSC01659.JPG

The shoulders have been filed and the bevel grinds have been finished up. The blade has been hardened and tempered.
DSC01686.JPG

The handle is ready to carve; I'm shooting for an early dirk look.
DSC01761.JPG

Just about finished except the sheaths. The handle is pined together, waiting for copper rod, from Tracy, so I can make the 3" pin that goes in through the top. Fun Project!
DSC01768.JPG

The original handle cracked while carving, I made the piece again and of course it did the same thing [picture of man ripping hair out !!!!] The back up plan called for stag.
The period is 1600's; dirks this early were quite thick and carried the edge on one side of the blade. The sharp point was meant to pierce chest armor. The Handle on this dirk maintains the bullock dagger handle design.
DSC01769.JPG

This is the first dirk made using the McCormick's reaper part.

DSC01479.JPG

DSC01482.JPG

Last edited:
New pics at top.

The blade is profiled and ready for the brut de forge hammer work behind the plunge and along the spine. I do this with an O/A torch and a rough ended hammer. I mount the torch beside my 300 lb Fisher, hold the blade in one hand and the hammer in the other.

Last edited:
Looking good Fred. I really like it when a person put's some history on a knife. Make's it less likely to be sold.

The new pics show the dirk with a 5 degree edge developing grind on it along with a view of the bottom of the blade at the plunge line.

This is coming along a little slow. I have four projects I'm working on at once. Bear with me please.

I added a new pic up top, to the Dirk build. The blade is finished, sitting on the camo shirt. I'll work on the handle next week if the temp gets above 20 degrees.

I have most of the handle parts together. The bulging section towards the base, will get carved into something Celtic looking. The base will be carved with two lobes as the early ones were. Hope to have this finished next week and get it to the customer.

Last edited:
I've been watching this one, good to see her coming together... looks like it might have taken a bit of a nose dive in the quench, or maybe I'm seeing things... I'm liking the robust tang, and the texture left on the spine.

I've been watching this one, good to see her coming together... looks like it might have taken a bit of a nose dive in the quench, or maybe I'm seeing things... I'm liking the robust tang, and the texture left on the spine.
Your eyes do not deceive you; in the first pic you can see where someone started this build with an O/A cutting torch. I don't think this piece of steel ever recovered. Where ever this piece of steel was, its from a big horse drawn mower, turn of the century, I think it was under load. I fought to keep it straight all through the heat cycling. I ran stress relief and three normalizing cycles. It warped twice when it was hardened, once when I did stress relief along the spine, using a propane torch, the blade in wet sand. I finally got it straight down the spine and edge by clamping it along a 2x2 angle while in the oven at 450, with the tip, shimmed. I consider myself fortunate to end up with a straight blade. I did straighten down its center the first time it was hardened, after the second plunge, theres no way I was going to touch that. :happy: Quite while your ahead.
The handle in the pic is not exactly what I ended up with. Two of the center sections basically exploded when I touched them with a power carver. I ended up with a solution that fits the blade. Check back on this thread, I'll have it finished by Monday.

Back