Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring 3 position switch to run motor forward/reverse without rewiring

Wiring 3 position switch to run motor forward/reverse without rewiring

Hi all,

I am just waiting on delivery of my NWG parts and I am starting to plan out my build.

I have a Baldor 1.5hp single phase motor and I am planning out the wiring.

I got thinking it would be nice to be able to run the grinder for edge up grinding so belt running towards the floor. Then running belt up towards the ceiling for polish and convex edge with cork/scotchbrite belts so also edge up.

My motor can be wired for either direction.

My question is can I wire in some kind of 3 position switch that can run forward, reverse, and off?

Can this be done?

Thanks.

Google drum switch- images

Great Faith, Great Doubt, Great Effort

the three qualities necessary for training

Slideshow of my Knives and Sheaths

Drum switches are what to use, I bought one for my homemade disk grinder and it works great. It was a little complicated for me to wire and ended up taking it to a electric motor shop to get it wired. I think there was a tread here about wiring a drum switch? I am sure somebody here can direct you! Funny story, I had a house electrician try and wire this switch when I first got it and he gave up after he almost smoked my motor, he tried to be a welder. Ha Ha
    Good luck,
    Clint

Just a caution..... think about what you're doing before wiring a grinder for reverse......it creates a lot of safety issues, and a lot of stuff will get thrown up into your face. But, if you still want to do it, a drum switch is what's called for on a single speed machine. If you're using a VFD, you can get an optional Foward/stop/reverse switch.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2R at the Blade Show!

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    Just a caution..... think about what you're doing before wiring a grinder for reverse......it creates a lot of safety issues, and a lot of stuff will get thrown up into your face. But, if you still want to do it, a drum switch is what's called for on a single speed machine. If you're using a VFD, you can get an optional Foward/stop/reverse switch.
    Thank you sir for your response.

It is safer to have the belt running towards the ground then so I would grind edge up and polish edge down? That is a safer way to do things is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
    Thank you sir for your response.

It is safer to have the belt running towards the ground then so I would grind edge up and polish edge down? That is a safer way to do things is it?
    Sorry if that sounded rude, just re-read my post.

I have never used a 2x72 so ideas that are "good" in my head might not transfer to safe operation in reality. Better to learn here before making the mistake and hurting myself.

I have a variable speed DC motor grinder with a reverse switch on my controller and I never have the need to use it. My belts are always turning down towards the ground and I do my hollow grinds with edge up, also sharpen with edge up. But with that being said, different strokes for different folks and everybody develops there own way of doing things. I would lean towards what Ed recommends or at least try your sander with your belt running down towards the ground before investing in a drum switch. If you need to sharpen with edge down, flip the knife over and give it a try or play with scrap metal to see what you like. Belt polishing is usually done edge up. When I gave advice earlier I was thinking switches not practicality on belt sanders, Thanks Ed !
    Clint

I was considering installing a drumswitch but after reading this thread I just changed my mind and saved some $$$

If you still decide you want to give it a try, a drum switch will work, but may not be necessary.

For example, you want to use this motor on a fixed speed disc later.

I would still keep your original on off switch and just add an additional direction switch.

Drum switches are expensive and have lots of connections and that scares lots of people away.
    You can just add another $10 toggle switch and skip the $100 drum switch.
    The toggle switch will also fit into existing boxes easily too.

On you baldor motor, you give no info to work with- photos and motor model numbers help.
    Baldor and Leeson and the good motor mfgrs have websites with diagrams based on model numbers.

Take off the cover plate for the wiring box, there is usually instructions on the inside of that cover, or on a data-plate on the motor

On the reversible motors the instructions are often "to reverse direction swap wires # and #" Those may be labelled with colours or numbers.

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Electric-...new-Dayton.jpg
    "CW rotation shaft end as shown, to reverse rotation interchange black and red"

That's easy to understand with the wires themselves, but to wire that to a switch is not so obvious

Start with a DPDT toggle switch rated for the motor.

Connect the centre switch pins to the tabs on the motor for those two wires.

Connect the wires to one end of the switch.

Now it's just running in that direction

Now, run two short jumper wires kitty corner in an x pattern across the switch.

That does the same thing as pulling the wires off and crossing your arms and reconnecting them the opposite way.

This diagram is more clear if it would be in colour, but it works.

012_01.gif
    Last edited by 12345678910; 11-22-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    (The Count)

Count, that's great.

It would be nice to have my disc snader reversible but cost is always a premium - I'll be looking into that some more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast