Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 2x42 belt sander mod ideas

Craftsman 2x42 belt sander mod ideas

Hello everyone, I know there is a ton of good information on the 2x42 craftsman and this is just some ideas I have and want to see what all the guys who own one or have owned a 2x42 or built there own will maybe be able to help me figure out if it will work. What I had an idea for the 2x42 is the platen sucks and you cant grind on the contact wheel cause it is only aluminum and I am trying to figure a way to fix it and make it work better than it was. Ok now I know of all the good grinders out there like Burr King,Wilton, KMG , NWG ,hardcore, Pheer , coote and many more. I know those are better grinders but at the time I can not afford them on my paychecks. So for my first idea, is to make a 2x6 grinding wheel from plywood like Michael Morris did and true it up and put it on so I can grind on the contact wheel. Not going to do hollow grinds just shaping blade profile. By doing that I think it would give more give and not kill the platen cause i use to grind shapes on the table to the platen. And the second part of my idea was to get a 2'' angle iron and make it the platen cause it is more square than stock platen , so I can grind bevels evenly all the time with some hard work and time. My second idea is just to basically take my 2x42 frame off and somehow attach it to a bench grinder that is 1hp and would make it work better then a 1/3 rd hp motor. So these are my ideas if you have any ideas or thoughts let me know. But remember this isn't because I don't want to get a better grinder just have to make mine better till i can afford it. Maybe even help out other guys who just started out.

Rockos Custom Knives
    Peoria, Arizona 85345
    Mastromauroanthony@yahoo.com
    http://rockoscustomknives.weebly.com/

Here is a video posted by The Count. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qfYT_m2Tw0

Having started with the same grinder, if I had to to do it over again, the GIB from Polar Bear Forge would be my first choice. Modifying the 2x42 still yields a 2x42 with only two wheels, no contact wheels and very limited attachments. I have less than 950.00 into my grinder with a bunch of attachments and different wheels but my base was only about 625.00 or so.
    "There is a lot to keep up with when you go full time, being your own boss can be a real let down. You find out how many people you really work for: your suppliers, power company and clients. It can be a real strain on an artistic mind." - Gary Miller (Fellow Knife Dog)

But I dont want all the attachments I want a simple grinder without like 4-6 different wheels.
    Rockos Custom Knives
    Peoria, Arizona 85345

Cool, then a GIB or NWG would be great. If you don't need all the extra stuff, you really don't have to buy it. I bought it cause it saves me time with my projects since its a multi-hobby grinder . I use it for making tobacco pipes, knives, an anything else that can hold my interest for a few days. The 2x42 is horribly under powered, crazy fast and limited in its belt options. But since you forge... I think... then it may just work for you.
    "There is a lot to keep up with when you go full time, being your own boss can be a real let down. You find out how many people you really work for: your suppliers, power company and clients. It can be a real strain on an artistic mind." - Gary Miller (Fellow Knife Dog)

I dont forge just stock removal
    Rockos Custom Knives
    Peoria, Arizona 85345

Rocko,
    We went through this.
    Get the Coote in 2 x 72' and a 1 1/2 hp motor, Step pulleys and link belt then you will be done with this.
    You can keep the Crapsman 2 x 42 for light work.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I know we went through this Laurence but I don't get paid that much on my pay checks and need something that will work till then okay.
    Rockos Custom Knives
    Peoria, Arizona 85345

I was given a 2x42 craftmam just after I purchased my 2x72 purer grinder. I had laying around a 110v router speed control form Harbor Freight, I was told using it would burn out the motor sooner, after using for 6 months that way it is still working at a friends shop who is just starting out ( I gave it to him). Did all the basic mods to it also. it may not be the best but, it works with the motor it has. Yes, you can bring it to a stand still. You just need to go slow. Also it's bolted to the bench with a piece of pondo rubber under it.
    Last edited by TacticallySharp; 11-14-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_ROCKO View Post
    I know we went through this Laurence but I don't get paid that much on my pay checks and need something that will work till then okay.
    Apply for a Sears card and put a new one on it! Your active Military right? They will give you one.
    Make a few knives to pay for it.
    I had one when I started and burned it out in about 3 months. I got one replacement from them and the second time they said I had modified the machine too much and it voided the warranty.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I appreciate the desire to get started making knives with what you can afford. While I agree that you'll eventually want to upgrade to something better than the craftsman, I disagree that you should spring for something bigger and better right away. If you can afford something better, get it. If not, don't worry too much--get what you can and start making knives. I did my first 100 or so with the 2x42 with very few modifications.

I'd not worry about making a new contact wheel. I would worry about improving the platen. A simple fix that will make heaps of difference is epoxying a ceramic glass piece to the platen that is already there. Mine is actually modified with a sawn-to-width piece of ceramic shower tile. Ghetto? Maybe, but it worked well and still does. I also cut away part of the guard around the bottom of the wheel so I could use scotchbrite belts, but that's about it. The underpowered part is true, but not a limitation really. The speed IS a limitation, but not an insurmountable one. Your grinds will improve with a better grinder, but you'll be shocked how well you can do without one.

There are quite a few of us who started with that grinder and lived to tell about it. Don't let the naysayers get you down.
    Travis Fry
    ABS Apprentice
    www.TravisKnives.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast