4th and 5th knives and a new WIP

SHOKR

4th, micarta handle
IMG_20121102_175013.jpg

5th, i made the handle out f 2 3mm layers, one jade and the other blue and black G10
20121107_191331.jpg20121107_191542.jpg20121107_191603.jpg

both O1 steel

this is a new one, the handle originally was like on the black line, but found out i need more meat there

20121105_202238.jpg

i ground it and now it feels good in my hand except for the butt (pun none intended... Well maybe a little bit)
You see where the pinky touches in regular hold and index when held in reverse? I want to take that inside a bit (concave it), but not sure how to do that without having the tang'biting' in the hand due to any sharp points

any pointers?

20121107_233648.jpg20121107_233705.jpg20121107_233728.jpg20121107_233737.jpg

IMHO your tang profile is good the way it is. Once you've got handle material on instead of making the butt end flat with teeny rounded edges round the entire butt section and it won't bite at all.

Going concave in that section will bite alot more and limit the grips that'll be comfortable. A finger would always end up in that concave butt no matter what. Of course it may be stylish to go that route though :)

-Josh

thanks Josh, i'm bit confused tho

you mean concave the entire butt of handle not just the small contact part? now it is bit convex

its good in the hand, but not great if you know what i mean :D

did the color of your name change?

Let me clarify

I think the shape of your tang now is good and I wouldn't change that.

How you choose to shape the handle material is going to have a BIG influence on how the knife feels in the hand.

Profile of the the tang will make it feel "good" in the hand as you said.

What you do with the handle material will determine if it stays "good" in the hand or becomes GREAT.

Looking forward to watching your WIP and seeing what you do with it !

The color of my name has changed since BossDog has upgraded me to a Moderator :16: :2guns: LOL.

-Josh

ahh ok now i get it, thanks!! and handle shaping is a whole other story, but i'll get there :)

congrats!!

the knife looks good. IMHO would make a great kitchen tool. I second Josh on how the handle material is shaped determines whether the knife is OK or great. Unless the knife is just for you or you are custom fitting it for a buyer, don't make your hand fit to the knife; shape the tang and handle so the knife fits your hand.
I have started a tutorial about handles. My test blade is fitted and glued, ready to be profiled and shaped. I do a rabbet tang, so you end up with solid wood to shape.
scott

Back