Paring knives WIP

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
GOOOOD Morning fellow knife dogs. As a rookie, I decided to start with small knives. My lab furnace is kinda small and will only hold a 6" blade. So, paring knives or EDCs.
The ones in this batch will have a blade that is almost 4" with a 2" tang. The knife pictured is made from 1/8 x 1" Starrett O1. The steel was cut to 6" lengths, Dychem applied, cut lines marked then cut on bandsaw. The tang has several holes that look random, but I was trying a new fixture. My grinding fixture will be in the next update. The blade has been ground with 36grit, then 60 grit, then 120 grit. The next step before HT is to draw file and finish shaping.
View attachment 36031View attachment 36032View attachment 36033
update
View attachment 36034View attachment 36035View attachment 36036View attachment 36037
I am using a 4x36 belt sander. the holding fixture is 1"square tube with the end cut at 80 degrees. a piece of 1" flat stock was welded to the ends. A blade can be clamped to the fixture with sheet metal vise grips. The blade will be ground at a 10 degree angle on each side.
scott livesey
the old sailor

Last edited:
time flies. got to the forge today and heat treated the blades.
View attachment 36227
removed most of the yuck and scale, then in the oven for 2 hours at 350F. The blades should temper to about Rc62. Used regular oven because it was already on cooking supper. I set it on convection because it seems to keep the temperature stable.
View attachment 36228
once cool to the touch, down stairs for a cleanup and first grind with 60 grit then 120 grit.
View attachment 36229
Next step is picking the wood for the scales.
scott

Last edited:
Back