old sailor's sharpening fixture

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
When I started with knives, I had a hard time with sharpening stones. Trying to hold a stone level in one hand and trying to hold the knife at the proper angle with the other is hard. Whenever I tried to sharpen a knife of any size, the hand holding the stone could get in the way.
I am a electrical/mechanical maintenance man in a factory, so all kinds of good stuff ends up in the trash. I found some mounting brackets for lights and a 15" x 3" x 1/4" piece of cold rolled steel. I trimmed the width on one bracket so that i could bolt them to the cold rolled and have 2" between the sides. The bolts are just over 8" apart.
The Norton sharpening stones I have are 8"x2". They are a snug fit in the fixture. The fixture is portable. I have found two mounting options. In my shop I clamp it to a bench top with a rag underneath to collect the sharpening fluid(I like glass cleaner). If I take it easy, a rag on a countertop will hold it still.
View attachment 36028View attachment 36029
Why bother???
The stone is now secure and won't move. The mounting brackets allow all the fluids to drain. I can now clamp the stone and fixture at the right height for me so I can apply as pressure as I want when sharpening. The stone is easy to remove, so I can turn it over to a different grit or use a different 8"x2" stone.
Hope this is helpful.
scott livesey
the old sailor

thanks laurence,
you would not believe what ends up in the scrap bucket. alot of it is small pieces, but I can't afford to buy all the differnt size angle, square stock, flat stock, and hardware that goes away as scrap.
scott

Back