How to make a center scribe WIP/Tutorial

Drew Riley

Hey guys,
I see a lot of makers asking how to mark center lines down your blade blanks, so I decided to film a quick tutorial/WIP on how to make a simple knife maker's center scribe. The great thing about this particular design is that it's very easy to build using basic tools and materials that most makers will already have in their shop (or at least have readily available).

As for the scribe point, you can use a carbide point from a pencil style scribe like I did (replacement tips are available for individual purchase from several suppliers), or you could use the point of a drill bit, or grind a broken drill bit to a point. You could even make your own out of some treated drill rod, or any small piece of hardened/hardenable stock that you can fit in the "scribe point holder".

Another alternative to drilling and tapping the end of the rod (aka scribe point holder) for a set screw, is to use a threaded rod and threading a nut on the end of it to "bind" the scribe point in place. You still have to drill a hole for your scribe point, but this eliminates one of the tapped holes. Hopefully that makes sense without illustration.

At any rate, here's the video:

[video=youtube;ioNy474XuVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNy474XuVU&list=UUGTRbXIkgnnse5SZN9bcAog&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Great WIP. I really like the nut for fine tuning. I think I might make mine with a bit longer threaded shaft so I can use it for general layout work in metal (marking two inches in for where a hole will go for instance). Hopefully I can stop using (wearing out) my calipers :nothing:

Back