New WIP’s or tutorials

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
After a little consultation Josh Dabney and I are looking for some members to do some WIP’s or tutorials on these subjects
Blade Forging
Heat treating, Basic and advanced
Sheath making, leather or kydex
Folders of any type
Tool and jigs
We are hoping to create a new group of stickies full of valuable information for the beginner and advanced knifemaker. Anything else knife related would be great. Oh by the way the Boss is drawing for 50$ gift certificates for WIP’s now so there is no better time.

I have a feeling we will be adding to the list as time goes by.
Thanks

I could have sworn I saw a thread where members could request WIP's but I can't find it now. I personally would like to see a WIP on how to grind those sweeping plunge cuts. I think it was either Nick Wheeler or Salem Straub who drew out the instructions for doing so, but I still have problems making mine come out right. Would love to see a video WIP.

I could have sworn I saw a thread where members could request WIP's but I can't find it now.

There was a thread of wanted WIP's but the two new power tripping Mod's are trying to shake things up a bit:). This is a great place to post a request, we are trying to grab a wider audience. (That is why this is here in the main forum). Josh and I would like to see and hear what people want to see. We may start bugging some of the more experienced makers on here for WIP's or tutorials on specific topics.

DonL

I think this is the thread you were looking for-
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?8660-Please-Put-All-Tutorial-Requests-Here

Having tons of info on our forum is fantastic but a little value get's lost when the one looking for it can't find what they're looking for. Brad and I are on the job and intend to play a more active role in our forum.

Your request for a sweeping plunge tutorial is exactly the type of request we're after. I'd ask you to go one step further and provide me with and example of a knife made by one of our members that displays what you are seeking and we'll see what we can do about recruiting someone to do a tutorial for us. No need to copy a pic to your computer and post it. Just point me to a specific thread and post number and I'll go check it out.

Keep'em comming fellas !

-Josh

This is all a great idea and the right men for the job. Its healthy to the forum.
You may want to have a look at our own David Broadwells bowies. He has the sweeping plunge grind down pat. He may even do one for us.

Thanks guys. I haven't seen a sweeping plunge line in a while. So I did a search and I saw that Josh has a WIP on a folder several years ago. I think Josh calls it a "feathered" plunge. I'm not sure what the proper name is, I've always called them a sweeping plunge. Here's a pretty good example from a maker who has done some a few good WIP's. Here's a knife from Matt Bailey with a sweeping plunge.

Following Bruce's suggestion, I looked on David Broadwell's forum and here's an example.

Back