Kirinite Pepper Jade bowie WIP

Mark,
You expressed some disappointment with your grind lines.
One aspect of any artistry is covering up your mistakes. You have a almost Persian
flow to your top grind lines and I suggest that you work on incorporating this flow into your own designs instead of trying to get everything straight like a jig patterned production knife. I really see a Behnke original design flow developing here.

One other small tip that will help you with your grinding is to use empty tape roll card boards or slices of Carpet roll centers or any other 4-6" round on those wooden pegs you are hanging your grinding belts on. This keeps the wooden pins from putting stress's in the belts that can give you little marks as the belts rotate while grinding.

I love that Bridgeport you have and how to some day own and know how to really operate one myself.

Keep your nose to that grindstone you are doing great!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Nice job Mark . I think you're made a really nice knife and thanks for showing us your ups and downs . We've all had em and are still making them . Part of our everyday life! Great Job and I love your knife !

SHOKR, Laurence, and backtines

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment, your feed back really helps keep me motivated.

The belt hangers are due for some changes and some PVC pipe will be involved,Thanks for the tip Laurence.. Slow learning for me on the BP good thing I 'm doing simple tasks.

SHOKR, Laurence, and backtines

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment, your feed back really helps keep me motivated.

The belt hangers are due for some changes and some PVC pipe will be involved,Thanks for the tip Laurence.. Slow learning for me on the BP good thing I 'm doing simple tasks.

Knife making & Materials set up can be a series of small & sometimes simple tasks. Keep at it you are doing great!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Liam
Had an idea for something a little different, made a pattern and got stuck at the point of dyeing the brown leather to black. I tried the vinagroon but it didn't get a real jet black. Some dyes rub off so need to work that out.
Took a little break from the knife shop for a while so this will be a good place to start up again.

Thanks for your interest
Mark

I have a start on this, I did the sam brown stud today
Kirinitesheath002_zps294c0489.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath001_zpsad03d5a9.jpg
[/IMG]

I threaded a micarta rod to screw into the brass stud that was turned a threaded. Still needs to be polished up.

Kirinitesheath003_zpsd71ab039.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath007_zps3a159e01.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath008_zpsf9466b6b.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath010_zps94d04898.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the first time I've tried to do this so I may do another one if this doesn't fit right or polish out ok. Feel free to comment.Thanks for looking in.
Mark

Cut out the leather front back and welt. Skived them all, tapered the welt towards the tip and thinned out the retention strap. The strap turned out shorter than the pattern so I cut the bulb part out, i left it long because being the first time with this idea I played it safe.
Kirinitesheath011_zpsae520645.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath012_zps638c2310.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath013_zpsd5e2aaf3.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath015_zpsd0cc48ea.jpg
[/IMG]
Kirinitesheath016_zps91e5ee7f.jpg
[/IMG]

I did the vinagroon yesterday but it didn't get very black, the small square piece I wiped with ferric chloride full strength where it's darker, and the black sheath was done with vinagroon on undyed leather a few years ago.

You should neutralize with baking soda after the vinagroon or ferric chloride as it can be corrosive to metal.

Kirinitesheath018_zps7a691913.jpg
[/IMG]

Kirinitesheath020_zpse4f2e9a5.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
So, any updates on this? Interested to see how it came out. I'm using the same handle material on a Santoku Chef's knife for a friend.

Sorry, I did the quick post and THEN all the latest information came up. Still new to the format. This looks REALLY good by the way. I need to get my digital camera up and running so I can start posting pics too!

Back