Kirinite Pepper Jade bowie WIP

Mark Behnke

A few snap shots as I go along.

Ats-34 blade, tapered tang
304 SS guard

I have an old round ram Bridgeport hooked to the KMG VFD so the guard blank was milled down from hot rolled 304 SS (read no flat or parallel surface) this is my first attempt at using a mill so an all day job and still not done.

Next, grind the bevels, taper, drill, heat treat, then finish the guard ,more mill time lots of bugs to work out on the mill.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm liking the way you got started. That is a nice looking blade design! I'm gonna subscribe to this one so I can keep up with your progress.
Let's rock -n- roll!

Thanks for looking in
I've been busy all week getting out side things done before it starts raining here.

Here's a little more, kind of a slow build so bear with me. A little more on the profile, not sure about the nib on the spine, or the grind line, it will have a swedge though, just did the one side with a 60 grit. Scribed a line 1" parallel to the blade edge as a guide and used a 10" wheel.

Cut a square out of 3/8" black paper micarta and turned it the lath for the rear most handle pin.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg001.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg003.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg002.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg005.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg004.jpg

Last edited:
Did a little grinding today and it wasn't pretty. Kept chasing that grind line... Gotta watch both edges of the wheel. Ding correct, ding correct...

And my micarta pin came out egg shaped, so I need to do it over. One step forward two back.

I'll try again tomorrow.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg018.jpg

I was happier with this,
wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg017.jpg

Before

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg013.jpg

Pin
wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg021.jpg

Thanks for looking.

OK, went out this morning after sleeping on the problem, and went to the disc with a 120 grit.
Took off a little on the flat to bring the line down, tapering back from the clip to the recasso, it didn't take much. Cleaned up the bevels with 180 grit.
Now to match the other side. I screwed things up grinding in the afternoon when tired, will grind in the morning.

Compare with post #4. Still some clean up to do.

This is knife #12 or so for me, so the grinding grit progression selection is still up in the air. One thing is learning when my belts are dull, I push them way too far.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg023.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg026.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet design. I might have to make something similar. What is the handle material? Subscribing to this thread.

Dull belts are harder to control that fresh sharp ones.

My progression is 36 Grit to 60G to 120G then 220G, 400G & 600G and the first three are Ceramic belts.

Hope this helps.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Laurence

It's always helpful to hear what others use.

I'm ready to order a new batch of belts, not sure what to get in the 220 and finer, maybe engineered abrasives.
The belt thickness and backing is the same throughout the grit range? Correct me if that's wrong.

Just chased scratches and refining the grind today. Still another day on the blade to go, then start on the tang taper etc.

Thanks Laurence

It's always helpful to hear what others use.

I'm ready to order a new batch of belts, not sure what to get in the 220 and finer, maybe engineered abrasives.
The belt thickness and backing is the same throughout the grit range? Correct me if that's wrong.

The 36, 60 & 120 Ceramic are all X backing. I will double check on the exact weight of others when I go into the Shop later today.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Having a lot of trouble with the grind line on one side. Had to move up but I dinged it so went to the flat and back and forth. Blade still needs refinement but had to move on.
Tapered the tang and drilled the pin holes for the handle. Hoged out the center with 2" wheel and 36g belt, then went to the disc with 120g. The butt is at about .050, may take it down a little more.

Noticed a problem with the disc grinder. I put a 280g rhino paper on and got little glue bumps that put nasty scratches right at the grind line. Need to experiment with different glue methods, and or paper.
I'm trying to get a real crisp grind line and that set me back. If it was easy...

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg045.jpg

At the third black hash mark from the left there is short deep scatches right on the grind line, like embedded grit.
wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg054.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg057.jpg

I'm trying to do some every day, but sometimes it's a step backwards.
I bought an old Bridge port round ram a year ago and just got it moved into my knife shop. This summer craigs list provided a Delta Milwaukee surface grinder.
no experience with either them. Oh boy let the fun begin.

Chuck up a slotting cutter to do the guard, put my 304 SS in the vice, turn on the mill, feed,sqreech, sparks? feed harder. The cutter stops. Jammed!
Duh, running backwards. Ruined the cutter. I'll spare you the rest of the story but it involved breaking and end mill.

Spent the rest of my time hand sanding the flats, didn't damage anything. Put some 280g paper on the block and some loud music. CCR

I'm going to try and cut a guard from brass instead of the SS.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg059.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg060.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg062.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg063.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg064.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg065.jpg

Worked all day in the shop today. Hand sanded the blade flats w/280g to remove the disc scratches mentioned earlier and prep the recasso for the guard. Searched for a solution for the disc paper issue and in the end found these I'm going to try.

http://usaknifemaker.com/norax-16x-norton-9-disc-16x-micron-abrasive.html

Still one little scratch to get out(isn't there always) but moved on to the guard. Had to do it a few times and broke 3 -.1/8" end mills. There is a couple thou. gap, but that should be good for solder, haven't soldered one before.

All in all I feel good about it.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg067.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg069.jpg

CopyofCopyofwstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg068.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg071.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg072.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg074.jpg

Last edited:
You have a good eye for detail. We will be seeing some very nice knives from you in the future. Great WIP...

Thanks Dwane,
Can't have enough toys.
You have a good eye for detail. We will be seeing some very nice knives from you in the future. Great WIP...

Thanks Boss for that vote of confidence.your support is very much appreciated.

Filed on the guard and did a little shop clean up, nothing much to show.
Will return soon.

Did a little work on the guard and decided on black fiber liners for the scales. Not sure if you can buy that type of material anymore, I think it has been replaced by G10. In the '80s bought some red, black, white, and blue along with old ivory and black micarta. The knife making got stalled but I kept my interest and continued to acquire tools and materials. Started building my shop about 5 years ago knowing retirement would come soon.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg015.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg016-1.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg017-1.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg019-1.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg020-1.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg021-1.jpg

Back