American Tanto/Kwaiken in W2 and Amboyna

Erin Burke

{Cross-posted w/ BF}

Good morning Dogs. I finished this knife a month or two ago... but it took me awhile to build the matching sheath and shoot some photos. I'm not exactly sure what to call it, as it's probably a bit short to be a tanto in the traditional sense... but there's really not much traditional about it... from the 550-cord wrapped, hidden-tang handle and the rivited faux-habaki to the leather sheath. I'm thinking that it might more-appropriately be called an American Kwaiken. {shrug}

Some Stats:
Length: 15-3/8"
Blade: 9-1/2" (Tip to Tsuba/Guard)
Steel: Differentially heat-treated W2, Flat-Ground
Handle: Wrapped Stabilized Amboyna Burl
Guard: Blued/Bleached mild steel (there's a thin copper faux-habaki that is rough-riveted to the blade with mild steel pins.)

7679327834_bfd69d6c67_b.jpg

7679327334_7c7665838a_b.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Erin

Wow , that looks japanese to me . Hamadashi style tanto . Shinogi zukuri style blade . Only difference is Habaki . Still a great blade ...

Thanks guys.
Hey Bubba... I totally had to look up hamidashi and shinogi zukuri. Unfortunately I've come to a point in my life where every new thing that I learn knocks some other fact out of my brain. It's OK though, cuz I never much liked what's-his-name anyway.
Erin

Looks great Erin. I'm really livin the work you did on this one. How does she cut?

Cuts my arm-hair real nice Murph... but with the polish that I put on the blade, I'm afraid to cut anything else. ;)
The balance point is almost right at the guard/tsuba... so it's quick, but probably wouldn't have much behind it for any sort of tameshigiri.
Erin

Side note Murph... weren't you the guy with the Rock River LAR-15? I'm thinking of buying one of there Operator 2 series... wanted to get your thoughts.

Looks great Erin. I'm really livin the work you did on this one. How does she cut?

Back