Bowie knife Critique

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
I just finished this one up. The blade is 1084 edge quenched, brass guard and spacer. The other spacer and pommel are cold blued mild steel. Handle is thuya burl. I think I went a little over the top and have too much going on. I was going to file work the spacers but it was going to be rough in the hand and I'm not that good with my file work yet.
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

My light box is a cloudy day, here in Nova Scotia thats not hard to find:)

I disagree that you went over the top. I've seen over the top, and this isn't it! I'd probably have left off the red spacers, but that's just an opinion, not a critique. You did an excellent job on the guard. I love the shape and the longer drop. I'd probably not have made the blued spacer as thick, or maybe would have fluted it, but you pulled it off well, and again, it's a matter of opinion. Overall flow is good, colors work together, proportions are right. I can't find any real things to critique that you haven't likely seen yourself. If you're anything like myself and most makers I know, you're your own toughest critic. Good job!

Sometimes you just have to let it happen and see what the customers say!

I mean that as a personal thing. I see nothing wrong or too much Bling! Etc. Also fit & finish looks flawless! I find that my style develops by making knives that are a little bit more than I am comfortable with.

Excellent work!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I am going to be honest with you pal. I t is horrible and you should not embarasss yourself showing it. Just send it to me and I will covet it and not tell anyone you did it.
Really though it looks great and I like to whole picture. I think a red spacer between the others and in front of the black one would have looked good also.
But I promise I will take it just like it is and be happy as can be to have it.
Hope you don't mind the jokes and fun it is great.
Percy

Unreal!!! I don't think it is too much. I think it is just right. However, if you are not satisfied with it I will throw it off one of the bridges on Lake Texoma for you. I will even pay shipping (grin)

I think you did a FANTASTIC JOB !! I love the whole package. I kinda like the red spacers , it brings my eye to it and it makes me notice just another piece of work created in the knife .. I Love the blued spacer too .. The just jumps right out at ya .. Again .. Its my opinion. Overall , I love it and I think you did a great job . Fit and finish is spot on . AWESOME !

Thanks for the input guys I have a lot of stuff going on in that one. There is a fine line between good and too much. I think this is the best knife I have made to date, when it comes to fit and finish. Thanks for the offer Percy and calharkins I have a river in my back yard if I need to get rid on it :)

Definitely not over the top. Very nice lines and flow overall. Like Travis, I might have gone thinner with the spacers, but I don't think they take away from it at all.
The nut on the pommel is a very nice touch, is that custom ?

Back