Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: fitting a handle to a hawk question

fitting a handle to a hawk question

I have made my first hawk and am trying to get a good fit on the handle. I can slide it to within about 3 inches of the end of the handle and it stops there. I know I will have to remove material from either the eye of the handle. Is it better to one or the other or a combination of both? I'm thinking a confirmation of both but wanted to make sure before I get too crazy on the files. One other question is about the head wanting to wiggle a little once I get it pushed as far up on the handle as I can get it. By wiggle I mean I can hold the handle still and rock the head up and down. How is a good way to keep it from wiggling? Wet a piece of leather and wedge it in?

Here is a pic of the hawk head so you know it happened....

If Obama is the answer how stupid was the question.

Did you use a drift that matches the angles/tapers of the handle, or did you just do a fold-over/weld of the steel? If the walls of the eye are parallel to each other, you won't be able to get a tight fit on the tapering handle without adding shims....and that isn't a good solution.

Is the wood contacting the eye on the sides or front and rear? Where is the pivot point when you have the handle installed?

I did use a drift it after I folded and welded it. But this being my first one I sure my process wasn't exactly right. The pivot point is near the middle of the eye. I have contact in several places mostly on the sides and back of the eye. I heated it up this weekend and worked on the eye a little and got the wiggle out so it sits on and just need to remover either from the eye or the handle or both.

If Obama is the answer how stupid was the question.