Help a brother out ???? Tools to build ????

Josh Dabney

Heya dogs,

Tax time has come again and although I'm wanting a new pistol in a bad way that hasn't over-ridden my endless need to feed the addiction :biggrin:

Tax time = TOOL time in the Dabney shop.

Rotary Platen has been ordered !:s11779:

Here's what I've got on my plate to build-

1 1/2 hp VSR horizontal grinder. Ordered two small wheel attatchments and a tracking knob from Boss. And a couple other odds and ends. 4" contact/drive wheel, tracking wheel, 1/2" & 3/4" small wheels, and a locking lever from Beaumont.

You've probably guessed it by the order list. It's gonna be KMG1 meets Horizontal. It'll have a bottom mounted tool arm holder and a tool arm set-up with a SWA on both ends and a flat platen in between. Probably also go with a fixed flat platen and work rest near the drive wheel.

This way I'll be able to run with a 2x72 belt in either a 3-wheel or 4-wheel position by adjusting the tool arm and also build more task specific tool arms say for grinding integrals, plunges, or whatever else may come in handy in the future. I MAY also be able to throw on the SWA off the KMG for freehand grinding with no guards or work rests in the way or the large contact wheel (will depend on how high I can track the belt). Versatility for custom attatchments in a horizontal is my goal.

Also ordered a pair of 3/4" pillow blocks, drive shaft, and drive wheel to build a KMG buffing tool arm. The drive wheel will be situated between the pillow blocks and get power via whatever abrasive belt I happen to have on the grinder. Gonna go with quick change tapered spindles on the ends of the shaft to hold the buffs so I can easily store my buffs and compound without contamination from grinding dust. I got a 4" drive wheel to match the KMG's drive wheel so my RPM's will be variable from 3600 to zero. May not be a Baldor should function like it (I hope) For FAR less coin.

Not having access to a good scrapyard raw materials can be a little hard to come by at times so I'm going to suck it up and order a bunch of steel from online metals to build the new stuff. Before I go ordering and forget something I wanna run my list past y'all to make sure I'm not forgeting something important.

Here's my build list-
1. horizontal grinder (plates, tool arm, work rests, tracking tension arm, tool arm holder)
2. buffing attachment
3. 1 1/2" x .12 square tubing for some tool arms (and a couple spares)
4. Tool Tree for KMG attachments
5. Ray Richards Godzilla tool
6. 1/2 x 4 flat for a plunge lapping plate (Nick Wheeler style)
7. Dedicated hand sanding fixture
8. While I'm at it need to make a new guard press (gave the first edition to a buddy)

For now I think thats it but I wanted to ask my fellow Dogs-

WHAT AM I FORGETTING ???? That I should be building while I'm devoting time to tool construction ?

I'm all ears Fellas ! What homemade tools do use and love ? Jigs, fixtures, whatever.

Oh I am also thinking about building a nicer knifemakers vice (the one I built is fairly shoddy) and finishing the install of my caliper dro on the mill (already have the calipers too)

Thanks alot for any suggestions or ideas Dogs !

-Josh

Also you are going to need a motor of at least a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Horses or more.
You can get away with step pulleys if you can't afford a variable speed control.

I have had luck locally finding Used motors in classified ads and Craigs list.
The last one I got on Graigs was a 2 hp 120V Household current motor that was made just after WWII.
Has those oil ports on the sides. I use that with step pulleys to run my KMG. My Hardcore has a 1 1/2Hp Variable.
So you might want to get the step pulleys from Rob at KMG also?

Good Luck.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence,

Got the motor covered. Ordered it already also.

56c face 1 1/2 hp 3 phase 3600 rpm continuous duty TEFC. I would've prefered a 1750 or 1800 rpm motor but I got a screamin deal on it brand new so I figure I can always turn the speed down. I just need to wire a plug on her and plug it in the VFD and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the suggestion buddy !

-Josh

The original point of this thread is basically mute now. The insane cost of shipping got me searching locally and I stopped in a nearby fab shop to check it out. What do ya know they are actually more of a material supplier than a fab shop and have giant racks of steel, aluminum, and stainless. Just about anything ya might want and they'll get ya anything within a couple days. Real cool bunch of guys there too. It really pays to shop local ! Not on my plate today but they got a 20' piece os 6" pipe sitting there with quench tank written all over it ;)

Just thought I'd share a couple pics with you guys. Project #1 is completed. Fabbed up the tool arm tree last night and got mounted to the bench tonight
001-1.jpg

Also made a dedicated tool arm for the KMG's small wheel attachment. Dang tired of having mounted opposite my 10" wheel !

Got my small wheel attachments in from Boss today for the horizontal. They look fantastic ! Started laying out holes in the grinder frame and had to call it a night
002-1.jpg

Almost forgot how much I enjoy building stuff and working with steel ! The Lincoln 180C is turning out to be a great investment. Use it for welding handles on steel for forging and also built a knifemakers vice, now the tree, grinder and buffing attachment. The welder has payed for itself 3 times already I think, LOL.

Take care fellas, Josh

You might want to pick up one of Bruce Bump's File Jigs!

I just purchased one it's really a Plunge line grinding jig. Much better than some of the others out right now. It was $95.00 Shipped to the door and he puts solid carbide blocks on the belt side.

Mine showed up a couple of days ago and It speeds things up a lot by protecting those plunge line shoulders.

Great pictures, You have been busy!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Laurence,

Brilliant minds think alike ! :biggrin:

My projects here pretty much have me maxed out on $$$ BUT... buying steel from onlinemetals = $380 with shipping. Buying nearly the same stuff locallly = $154 and no shipping. Cheaper prices on the steel plus no shipping makes a huge difference in price.

Guess what I did with my savings ? Oh yeah, Ordered a Bruce Bump file guide on wednsday. :taz:

I've been meaning to get a carbide guide from Riverside for a long time but now that Bruce's offering them it was a no-brainer for me.

I'm still open to suggestions though. Now that I got my local steel supplier I can drop by there and get material any ole time :)

Take care buddy- Josh

Let me know how you like that rotary platen. I would REALLY like one of those, but I am having to pay taxes instead of get a refund. (it's not because I made a lot of money)

BD Blades,

I know a bunch of guys that have them and they all say the same thing... GET ONE !

Some guys swear by em for handle shaping and getting into the handle material/guard transition and handle shaping in general. Others for convexing edges or doing full convex grinds.

I'm looking forward to playing with it and will let ya know what I think.

Take care- Josh

Man i got tool envy so bad, i just told a person i make knives and they said with what!!!!! I got to build something anything lol :D
You got some nice builds going on josh,you did good on that tree.

Franklin,

I surely don't have every gadget known to knifemakers but I do have quite a bit ;)

In all seriousness though I have spent dang near every expendible dollar on this stuff for 4 years. I had to force myself to build the AR-15 and it remains without a decent optic or iron sights. Other than knifemaking my want list is fairly short but expensive and pretty much all firearm related :)

In a bad bad way I wanted to drop all my cash on this and nearly did-
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-tactical/

But unfortunately that pistola would in no way assist me in reaching my knifemaking goals so I came to my senses and went this route instead.

Once that descision was made I had to talk myself out of dropping the cash on a VS horizontal from Beaumont and work up the courage to go the "build it myself" route.

Prioritizing tool purchases can be difficult and that's a topic where folks would be doing themselves a favor by seeking the advise of more experienced makers.

For example- I'm REALLY wanting a hydraulic press. With a bit more saving I could've got one but I'm not concerned with making damascus at this point and my immediate goal is getting to Journeyman Smith level. I can reach that goal hand forging no problem so the press can wait as my tool dollars are better spent on things that will either- Give a better and/or more consistant result or raise efficiency by saving me time an making me more productive in the time I have to work.

I decided a long time ago that I was into knifemaking for the long haul and try to set goals. My main overlying goal is to have a fully outfitted shop (and know how to use whats in it) by the time my kids are in school. I'm looking pretty good so far since my daughter just turned 2 I've got 3 more years to be ready for full time knifemaking. Until then I work on knives whenever I can and never have enough time.

Once your fully addicted there's no going back !!!!

Thanks also ! The tree came out great and I even impressed myself a little with my welding. If I keep at it I might just reach a "fair to midland" level with the mig ;)

Take care buddy- Josh

I hear ya my girls just 8 and needs everything or the worlds going to end, makes me laugh. Looks like your on the way to that goal.
i cant complain, the only true thing i need to build or buy is a 2x72 grinder, but when you have gotten by for 6 years on a 1x30, and just moved up to a 2x42 whats the hurry:D

Good luck on getting every thing before the little one hits school.

More grinder build pics anyone ????

Cut the center hole for the motor's drive shaft with a hole saw and lotsa WD-40
011-2.jpg

56C frame motor mounted in frame
012-2.jpg

Estimated position of tool arm in 4-wheel mode
013-3.jpg

Estimated position in 3-wheel mode
014-3.jpg

Also got the flat bar cut for the tool arm holder and the holes in the frame de-burred and the perimeter edges rounded over.

-Josh

Got a bit of time to work on the grinder yesterday.

Welded up the tool arm reciever and the horizontal small wheel tool arm.
Removed the leg from the bench and moved it to the outside of the frame to make room for the motor in that corner
bolted up the motor and sized things up with the different tooling I've got

Standard horizontal
001-3.jpg

KMG SWA
002-3.jpg

10" contact wheel
003-1.jpg

KMG slack belt/ Flat platen
005-1.jpg

Height comparison between the dedicated horizontal tooling and other KMG tooling. Very close ! Should be able to swap tooling without even re-adjusting tracking ;)
004-2.jpg

Also started working on the tracking/tension system. Got the arm that holds the tracking wheel just nearly done.

-Josh

Just started on the NWG grinder/sander myself. And, I will probably make the alum. plate fixture for versatility as well, which is now included in the $25 plans price. Since I don't have a metal cutting bandsaw this will be interesting! And, likes someone else said, the wife and I are in the paying booth for tax instead of the receiving booth. Bummer. Looks like the 10 inch contact wheel will have to wait a while.

gaelic forge- She's still under construction so no action shots just yet. My order from Beaumont is scheduled to be delivered wednsday. I May just have to pull the drive wheel from the kmg to test it out before then :)

I did get some work done on it today though.

Removing some of the overkill from the tracking wheel arm on the surface grinder. I asked for 1" square bar for this but apperently the fella doing the cutting grabbed 1 1/4" by accident.
006-1.jpg

3/8" bronze flange bearingings in, tracking knob and axle holes tapped
007-1.jpg

Tracking/Tension assembly fabbed up ! Boy this thing is smooth with the bronze bearings. No play in it what-so-ever
008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Gotta go get a cord tomorrow so I can wire up the motor. Also need drill and tap the hole for the locking lever but I'm not too far from being able to fire this thing up and see how she runs.

In all seriousness though I have spent dang near every expendible dollar on this stuff for 4 years. I had to force myself to build the AR-15 and it remains without a decent optic or iron sights. Other than knifemaking my want list is fairly short but expensive and pretty much all firearm related :)

In a bad bad way I wanted to drop all my cash on this and nearly did-
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-tactical/

But unfortunately that pistola would in no way assist me in reaching my knifemaking goals so I came to my senses and went this route instead.

Once that descision was made I had to talk myself out of dropping the cash on a VS horizontal from Beaumont and work up the courage to go the "build it myself" route.

Prioritizing tool purchases can be difficult and that's a topic where folks would be doing themselves a favor by seeking the advise of more experienced makers.

Josh

Josh, Josh, Josh, it would have been so much fun on range day though! :what!::biggrin::les:

I hear you brother I don't have the money and I still have to beat the demons some days. My latest weakness was the five of Parks50. My finger was on the trigger before I knew what happened :shush:but, I think in the end that will be a big benefit so know what you mean about prioritizing! Now I just got to sell some stuff to pay the bill1:eek:

C Craft- I think you made a good choice on the Parks 50. I'm glad I got mine.

Not alot done on the grinder tonight. Snapped a pic while wiring up the motor mainly to show the tool arm reciever construction

002-4.jpg

Almost starting to look like a grinder. Motor wired up and purring like a kitten. Realized I can't throw the KMG's drive wheel on here though because it's a 3/4" bore and the motor is a 5/8" shaft. Guess I'll have to wait for Fed-Ex

003-2.jpg

Tracking tension system completed. May need a heavier spring but I'll see what I think after trying it out
004-3.jpg

Back