Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: Advice/Recommendations??

Advice/Recommendations??

I have an older heat treat oven in my shop. It is essentially a Canadian version of a paragon.

The story goes like this..... I got it second hand, and after a few uses, I noticed that it kept taking longer and longer to reach temp. For example, if setting the controller to 1950F....it would take 3-3 1/2 hours to reach temp. I thought the element might be going bad, so I ordered a couple of replacements from Paragon.....after installing a new element, the oven now takes 4- 4 1/2 hours to reach the set point. The oven reaches 1000F fairly quickly (an hour or so) but beyond 1000F, it's a crawl. Here are the specs on the oven:

Cyberblade Furance
    Model: DHT-16
    Volts: 240
    Phase: 1
    Amps: 11.6
    Element: Kanthal A1 alloy
    2800W, 20.6amps, Max temp 2000F

How long should a heat treat oven take to reach a set point of 1950F? If the time frames I've mentioned are out of line with what should be expected, do you have any advice or recommendations?

Many Thanks!

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2R at the Blade Show!

What are the ohms on the element you have in the oven? The calculations for the watts per square inch of internal surface area ( like horsepower to weight ratio for car) shows that unit should be a rocket to 2000F. I assume it is a single element in the oven?

If you have one that is not appropriate, we can usually design elements to operate at a faster heating rate. If you are going at a FULL rate or as fast as the oven can go, usually 2 hours to 1950F is reasonable. You have 240 volts so not have that as a limitation. If you want to e-mail me directly off line, I can build you an element that will have that oven running much faster. hohenshelt@att.net

Thank you

John

Thanks John!

I'll email you with all the specifics

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2R at the Blade Show!

Dang... I built an oven from scratch that has very similar specs (altough I don't know about interior volume), and it probably only takes 20-30 minutes to get up to 1500F. I can't imagine it'd take MUCH longer than that to hit 1950. Maybe an hour TOPS.

Are you sure you're getting 240V across the element?
    -Andrew

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
    Check it out and Subscribe!