Knife #20 - New Concepts/Learning Process

Erin Burke

{Cross-posted with BF}

Hey dogs... I've been sitting on this one for awhile. I was really excited about trying some new things... but translating them from my head to reality was trickier than I had planned. I made a few mistakes along the way, but ended up with a knife that I liked enough to see through to completion. Because of the problems, however, this is one that stays with me.

First the concept drawing.
6070021611_15ded73a5f_o.jpg

Guess this would be a small O-Kissaki tanto.

And here's what I came up with.

Some Stats:
Length: 11"
Blade: 6-1/2" (tip to tsuba)
Steel: Differentially heat-treated ~3/16" W2 (from Don Hanson) Flat-Ground
Handle: WSSI Stabilized Thuya wrapped in epoxied paracord
"Tsuba"/Guard: W2
Habaki Panels: Copper

6069965553_0c813895c4_o.jpg

I learned some stuff on this knife that will definitely help me out on future projects.
Erin

Dang Erin!!! You're killing it!! That is awesome!!! Seriously, I guess I'm just a chicken or slow or something, I haven't really tackled more than my normal fixed blade. It's enough for me to 'try' to make a smaller knife instead of my usual chopppers, of the monster variety! I don't know, for some reason they just keep growing the more I hammer!? Most be something in the water around here!
Very nice blade and with your usual fit and finish, always SWEEEEEEEET!
Rex

AMAZING!! I love everything about this blade. The copper accents are very beautiful. Can't wait to see more of your work and what you will come up with our of your new skills

There's a mistake?!?!? Where??? I don't believe you.

That looks absolutely amazing Erin.

If that is what you consider too many "problems" to sell I can't wait to see what you do that you consider a good job. Great job.

Hi Erin, if I see a thread from you I always pop in as I expect to see something great.

When the thread loaded I could only see the sketch - 'boy this is going to be good!'

I hit page down and the photo comes into view - an involuntary 'oh dear god!'

Beautiful work as ever. Knife and photograph are awesome. :)

That looks amazing! I only wish my mistakes still looked like that. Heck I wish my "good" ones looked like that.

Back