Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the Bible

just some thought's

First of all I want to thank Tracy for not deleting this thread! It wasn't the easiest thing for me to post but now that I did and I see the response I'd like to keep this going.

This morning blacksmithing popped in my mind and I started thinking about it. It wasn't to long ago that in order to have a small village or a town a blacksmith shop was a necessity. I did a short term mission trip in Honduras a few years ago. The fellow that was our guide pointed out the blacksmithing shop at the small village we would be staying at. Anyway the little bit that I know about blacksmith shops is there was a little mysticism that seemed to go along with it. Looking at my shop there's really not much in there other than my grinder, a drill press, heat treating oven, rotary tool, and that's about it for power tools. Now I got my forge, a couple anvils, and way more hammers than I need. My shop really isn't much without me. I'm the head machine and I don't need to be plugged in. Other than hitting the switch to turn on my bathroom exhaust fan blower and turning on the gas I'm good to go.

When I first got into bladesmithing I knew very little and the first time I fired up my coal forge I'd built from a pickup truck brake drum I found out how right I was. Forging a blade from a piece of leaf spring just wasn't going to happen that day. In fact it was a couple years later that I felt like I was starting to get the hang of it and its been a never ending learning process since I started. All this time when I first started bladesmithing I felt like there was a presence there in the shop watching me. At times I thought maybe it was the spirit of my great grandfather Steve who had his own cutlery business in 1862 watching over me. (right now you probably thinking, I always knew Ray was a little strange)
    Something I have been told before more than once.

More to the present time now. Most of you know that I've been part of a men's Bible study group that's been meeting for around 6 years now and the last 3 or 4 years we have been studying the Old Testament. I do think we will finish this study shortly but to me it has been well worth the time spent doing it. When I first became a christian I knew very little about the Bible and was told we live by the New Testament but I had always wondered why the Old Testament was about 7/8's of the book. It's a history of His Chosen People. They go from being in dyer straights to up on top of the mountain. God gives Moses the 10 Commandments a couple different times and these are the rules for you to live by. Things go real good while these rules are fresh in there minds but they gradually start back sliding and they find themselves back at dyer straights. When things get real bad they turn to God again and things start to turn around once again. This cycle continues through the Old Testament over and over again till Jesus Christ makes the scene with the new plan. The thing I appreciated the most out of this study of the Old Testament is it helped me understand myself. The faults I have are no different than those that lived in the good old days.

I look at "His Chosen People" in the Old Testament as "Man, himself" in the New Testament. Instead of God choosing us you either you chose to follow "Him" or just do as you please. You make the choice.

I had mentioned earlier about "mysticism" being somewhat tied to blacksmithing. Also thinking the presence I felt being my great grandfather watching me when I first started bladesmithing. I now know the presence I was feeling in the beginning of my adventure is much higher than that of my great grandfather. God talks to us. He talks to me in my shop most all the time. I've chosen to listen this time. Read the Bible and let God talk to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Richard View Post

I look at "His Chosen People" in the Old Testament as "Man, himself" in the New Testament. Instead of God choosing us you either you chose to follow "Him" or just do as you please. You make the choice.

I had mentioned earlier about "mysticism" being somewhat tied to blacksmithing. Also thinking the presence I felt being my great grandfather watching me when I first started bladesmithing. I now know the presence I was feeling in the beginning of my adventure is much higher than that of my great grandfather. God talks to us. He talks to me in my shop most all the time. I've chosen to listen this time. Read the Bible and let God talk to you.
    Well said Ray and I know what you mean about feeling the presence.
    Frontier Style Knives and Tomahawks

Well said, thanks for that Ray. I also believe God speaks, and I also want to listen (a little hard-headed myself sometimes )

tonester Guest
    thanks for sharing that raymond. i love those little bibles. i carry one in my back pocket all the time. i usually end up giving it away to a friend or someone i know that needs it more than i do. those bible always pick me up when im having a gloomy day too.

Thumbs up

Amen on that Ray....

click on picture to go to my site

God talks to us. He talks to me in my shop most all the time. I've chosen to listen this time. Read the Bible and let God talk to you.
    That's where I mostly hear God also, I think it's solitude of the shop, even when it's not quiet in the shop, it's just you and God there.
    My web site

My KnifeDogs forum

Get your official KnifeDogs dog tags HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Les Voorhies View Post
    That's where I mostly hear God also, I think it's solitude of the shop, even when it's not quiet in the shop, it's just you and God there.
    Hey Brother, Have you been listening?

I find myself being 62 years old. 30 years as a christian and I bet the first 26 years I never read one complete book of the Bible. I just didn't get it until doing this Old Testament study and seemed to be grasping a little at a time. Now it flat out makes sense.

toenester, I just put my mini Book away. Its my shop Bible now!

I think God is just as much on the inside as outside. I mostly hear God coming from inside me when quiet and still. I think God will speak to anyone who will listen, whether through the bible, nature or through your own heart.

The best part is, everyone seems to hear something different...

The bible is very mysterious to me... I've read it several times cover to cover, and still don't understand the totality of it. It's like trying to pour the ocean into a paper cup.

Mathsr Guest
    Absolutely the best description I have ever read of the Bible. I'm sending a copy of it to my three sons. I hope that they will pass it on to their friends, I'm going to pass it on to mine.

You thanked Tracy for not deleting this thread. I do too. The responses you have gotten speak volumes about the people that visit this forum and volumes about the people that visit other forums I visit from time to time too. I wonder why I visit them when so many times I end up feeling like I need a break from the hate and venom that exists there.

I agree with all of the above and am happy that there are such members here.
    Ken Hurst
    Robersonville, N.C.
    910-221-5288

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast