Hello from Utah!

PetrifiedWood

Hi!

I recently purchased some tools and supplies from USA Knifemaker Supply and was referred to this forum from there. I also saw mention of it on another discussion forum where I participate regularly.

I've decided I want to make some knives. Maybe just enough to learn that I don't like it, or maybe a whole lot of them if I do.

So here's a little background on how I came to want to make knives. Years ago when I was a teenager in the late 80's/early 90's I was at a friend's house and we were looking for a way to kill some time and we found his dad's belt sander in the garage. There was some steel bar stock lying around too...

Just for kicks I took a bit of the steel about 16" long and cut it with a hacksaw into a "rambo knife" shape. I cut a saw back into it with an angle grinder making notches along the back, and put a mostly uneven "grind" on the edge with the belt sander. The whole process took about 30 minutes and it looked really like a kid made a "Rambo Knife". :D In retrospect it was probably a mild steel not suitable for making knives, and we didn't know anything about heat treating beyond the first 10 minutes of "Conan the Barbarian" where you see a sword being quenched in a snow bank. So the knife was soft, bendable, and dulled quickly. But my friend liked it enough to keep it and made an electrical tape handle for it.

Anyhow that's the last time I did anything related to making knives since, up until a couple of months ago. I had joined a forum "Bushcraft USA" and had been buying some knives here and there, learning about the various types of grind from a user perspective, and learning a lot about handle ergonomics from a user perspective as well. I had a Gerber Profile lying around that never felt comfortable to use because the finger groove and the little peak near the pommel interfered with me getting a secure comfortable grip. So I took the plastic scales off (they are held on with screws) and bought a cheap Harbor Freight 1X30 sander and set to grinding the finger groove off and rounding the back of the tang.

I followed a tutorial I saw posted online and re-handled it with some oak I had lying around and decided I wanted to make my own knife from start to finish. Here's a pic of the re-made Gerber. I ruined a few drill bits enlarging the lanyard hole enough to accept a 3/8" brass tube I made on my lathe.

DPP_7_0007.jpg

So, over the past week I have ordered some O1, a Grizzly Tools 2X72 grinder/buffer an Evenheat 27" deep oven, and a few small accessories here and there. I still need to get some tongs, set up a quench tank somehow, wire my shop for 220V for the oven, get a respirator, move a bunch of stuff around, draw some profiles, etc. I also don't have a torch or a band saw so cutting out blanks might be pretty time consuming for me compared to a better equipped shop.

I also purchased a couple of books on knifemaking including the oft-recommended "$50 Knife Shop". And have been reading bits nd pieces over the last couple of days.

That's what led me here. I am a little daunted by the idea of grinding the bevels. I have been working with hand and power tools most of my life. I have taught myself to operate a metal lathe and to do single point threading. I'm confident that I can do every aspect of stock removal knife making with the exception of freehand grinding the bevels.

I guess my biggest concern is that after all this outlay in equipment costs, I am feeling a bit stingy about spending a lot on material that will likely be pretty messed up by my first tentative forays into grinding bevels.

Anyhow, I hope I haven't bored you all or rambled too much. I'm looking forward to learning from you and am happy to be a new member of your online community.

The re-worked Gerber looks good. Sounds like you have a good start on some good tools, that will make your knife experience more enjoyable. There a number of guys on this forum that will be very helpful on giving some tips for grinding. Check out the new makers forum, lots of good info there. Welcome to Knife Dogs.

Welcome and congrats on getting a good start with some new tools! Its great you were able to get a 2 X 72 grinder and HT oven right at the start. That will help alot..

As far as the steel goes. I would recommend starting out with some XX steel like 1080 The price is low and its probably the easiest to HT in my opinion and experience.. If you havnt already made a purchase, I recommend Aldo's steel you can find all his info here,. http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.php?58-New-Jersey-Steel-Baron Then as you learn and feel more comfortable. you can try other steels.

Dont worry about screwing up.. because your gona, and thats just part of the learning curve.. We all have done it and most will tell ya, They still do. myself included!

This forum is some best group of makers you could ever find. The info thats already available and just a few clicks away is awesome. and im sure you will find invaluable! If you have questions and cant find the info already posted.. just ask.. :)

Again Welcome to Knife Dogs!
Randy

Welcome to the pack.Sounds as though you're ready to go atit.
Take Randy's advice,and start out with some of the 10xx steels
it's cheap,easy to work,and will make you a great knife.

God bless,Keith

Thanks for the welcome and the advice! I do have some O1 on order, because I have heard it was also relatively easy to work with (and I found it on Amazon with free shipping). I will check out the Steel Baron for some 1084 as that seems to be a popular choice.

Welcome, PW, glad to have you here. Ditto on the the 1080/1084 from Aldo - it's pretty inexpensive to practice on but when you grind one you like it can become, after heat treating, a great knife.

Back