Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: Forced air forge

Forced air forge

This is a forge I built for Aaron Cain the tattoo machine maker. He makes custom tattoo machines out of a variety of materials, but mostly mosaic damascus steel. He wants to give damascus steel making a try and I recommended a forced air forge.

I think they get much hotter than the venturi type, but of course that is just an opinion.

Here is Aaron's website it is well worth checking it out http://www.aaroncain.com/

P5220006.JPGP5220010.JPGP5220002.JPG

that looks pretty stout Tony. What did you use for insulation?
    Tracy Mickley
    Forum owner and administrator

Mickley Knives www.Mickleyknives.com
    >Get your KnifeDogs.com: Memberships, Shirts, Hoody and Dogtags here<

How many cfm does the blower push ?
    I started building another forge but haven't ordered the blower yet. I was looking at one that does 60 cfm, the next higher one is 100 cfm which is overkill I think for a small forge. Nice compact setup you built.

Rudy

I like a large cap blower. This one is 146cfm, and you can always use a swing cover over the incoming air portion or put a inline gate valve to control the oxygen. I have one of these on my smaller forge and a bigger one on my larger forge. I made a different set up on that forge using a 5000rpm blower and that 20" round 36" long forge gets to welding temp extremely fast.

If I didn't use nickel as often, and I didn't forge huge blocks, I agree that you don't need as much air. I like my forge to be light yellow hot when I make the initial weld and when I am reducing material I don't want distorted.

These dayton blowers can be found brand new for around 60 dollars. You just need to buy and attach the plug and cord. Making a high rpm blower is very economical as well.

I like a castable refractory as I hate to reline my forges. It takes a bit longer to heat up and may not be as efficient as kaowool, but I like the trade off. Aaron Cain lives in Cali and I am leaving the choice of lining to him. If I casted the inside on that forge it would weigh a ton!!! I probably couldn't even come close to lifting it.

Thanks for answering that.
    The forge I'm presently building is 8" inside diameter and 16" long. Castable floor/ Kaowool liner. I decided on a 1" burner tube. After doing some pidgeon math (with some help) we concluded that the 60 cfm blower would do the job since the tube would be less than 26" total and necked down from 2-1/8" to 1" at the forge. The blower will be variable speed from a fan controller.

Rudy

Hi Rudy,
    The forge I have pictured above is 14" diameter and 24" long with a 1.5" burner tube. I had to make a fixture to attach the rectangle end to the pipe and since it necks down I am sure some of the CFM's are diminished.

I think your math is very sound from what little I know since the space is smaller. I forge a little of everything, but I primarily forge high nickel mosaic damascus steel so I gear everything to that. I am sure if you asked 12 different people who forge damascus steel you would get 13 different opinions on their setup.

When I first started forging I listened to what Robert Eggerling and Chad Nichols recommended and that has served me well.
    Last edited by acmetsala; 05-26-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acmetsala View Post

I am sure if you asked 12 different people who forge damascus steel you would get 13 different opinions on their setup.

You're right on point with that.
    When I built my first forge, probably 10 years ago now, everyone I asked for advice told me what wouldn't work . I finally stopped listening and just did what made sense and it worked fine. I've built a few since then for other people.

Thanks,
    Rudy