Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Are you still using salt tanks?

Ed Are you still using salt tanks?

Ed
    Just trying to put some thought into the new shop and was wondering if you were still using salt tanks. This has always sounded like a very finate way to hit HT temps and lower cleanup time with lack of scale.

Just wondering if you were still using them, and what your opinion was on them. Any tips and insight would be appreciated!

Also doeas anyone have plans for setting up a gas fired Salt pot? What do I need to start collecting??

God Bless
    Mike

There is a thread started over on Bladesmithsforum.com on this subject (http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index....pic=19868&st=0). No information posted yet but it may be worth watching.
    <);-)>
    Wayne Coe
    729Peters Ford Road
    Sunbright, Tennessee 37872
    423-628-6444
    www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com
    waynecoe@highland.net

"Moe" Official Shop Dog

Hi Mike!

Yes, I still use a salt tank. Compared to other methods, it provides super fine accuracy/consistency.

I think a gas fired setup is the only way to go with Salt Tanks.

Essentially all you do is built a vertical forge, and use a Stainless tank (I prefer 300 series SS for the tank), a PID controller, thermocouple, a normally closed magnetic gas valve, and enough propane plumbing to fit your needs. I use a single venturi burner, located at the bottom of the forge.
    The biggest "trick" in getting accuracy out of a salt tank is the size of the actual salt container used. You have to realize/remember that the salt is "thermal mass"....that means that the smaller you can keep the diameter of the tank, the less temp swing you will realize.
    For example, the tank I use is 2 1/2" ID X 3/8" wall X 20" long. My tank will hold within 10-12 degrees of the set point. Use a tank that will just accommodate the largers blade(s) you ever thing you will make.
    I have had folks call and ask me to help them with salt tanks....one person that comes to mind insisted that he was going to use a 6" ID tank. I tried to talk him out of it, telling him that he would get massive temp swing with that much thermal mass heatting up and cooling down all the time...but he went ahead and did it anyway. About three months later he called me again, all upset that his setup was giving him temp swings of 100-200 degrees. (He was using the 6" tank). He could not understand what I was trying to tell him about the thermal mass that much salts put into the equation. I finally told him that his salt tank would never "even out" until he went smaller. To this day I have no idea if he ever tried a smaller tank.....I suspect not, because I saw a classified on one of the forums from him, offering "salt tank parts".
    Don't think there is NO cleanup, there is, it's just a lot easier clean up than having scale to work on.
    If you take the time and effort to think through a salt tank design, and use it cautiously, it can be a very effective and useful addition to a knifemakers shop.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2R at the Blade Show!

Morning Ed, I wonder if you would explain the reason you use a salt tank.. I mean I dont understand the process or what it does.. What part of the HT does it replace..

Always interested in learning.. and your posts and info is always very informative. Thanks in advance for your time.

Randy.
    God is GOOD, ALL the time!!!

HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

Randy Haas
    http://hhhcustomknives.com

LINK To availible knives and T shirts!

I hope it's ok to mention here that there's a sticky up at the top on bladeforums that gives a rundown on salt pots. I've been lucky enough to take a peak at Ed's setup, couldn't be simpler in a good way.

Take care, Craig

Randy,

The salt tank is about about control. You can precisely control temps. Because you are heating in a liquid, through conduction, rather than convection as in a forge or with a torch, it offers a level of control that just isn't possible when heating through convection. Because the hot steel isn't exposed to the atmosphere, there is almost no scale to deal with during cleanup. Because the salt tanks are so precise, you can take a blade very close to finished, heat treat it, and have minimal cleanup when it's done....that equals a lot of time savings.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Ed,
    Are you using 2 tanks? One with high temp salts for HT and one with lower temp salts for Tempering?

I rarely use low temp salts, but when I do, I simply use my tank of Nirte Blue.......that way I can get "double duty" out of one product. (low temp "salts" as well as bluing capability)

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Ed, I have a question, how does the tank sit in the vertical forge? is there space between the tank and the insulation that allows the heat to flow aroung the SS tank? thank you in advance.
    Uncle Billy

Yes. The vertical forge body is 12"ID, with 1" of kawool coated with ITC......so the actual ID of the finished "forge" is 10", and my tank that holds the "salts" has a 2 3/4" OD.......that means there is approx. 7 1/4 inches of air space between the ID of the forge, and the OD of the salt tank. The forge actually has a "lid" with a "chimney" on it to direct the hot exhaust away from me, and the hold the top of the tank centered in the forge. You can see pics of it on this page: http://www.caffreyknives.net/bsteel.htm

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast