Platen on NWG

DWatson

Hi everyone, just a quick question about the platen surface on a new grinder build. I am using 2x2 angle iron with slots cut out for adjustments. I am also planning to use the glass liner that Tracy sells on the front surface.
My question is, before I mount the glass, is it necessary to mount a 3/8 thick piece of steel on the angle iron, and also, is it necessary to have the surface machined for a perfect 90 degree, as it is mounted to the tool arm?
Thanks for any input.

The extra 3/8" plate is probably not necessary, since you're replacing that with the glass. But it's probably wise to follow BossDog's instructions, especially regarding a "ledge" to hold the glass if the epoxy gives.
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/ceramic-glass-liner-for-flat-platen-2x9x-0192-p-1181.html

Machining the angle iron to a perfect 90 will most likely be a waste of time, since few people can spread the epoxy perfectly level, anyways.
Taking note of the instructions, you'll see that it is also not wise to "force the glass level" when placing it on the epoxy, either.

So your best approach is to level the epoxy as best as you can. It probably won't be perfect, but remember the NWGS design is very forgiving.
If it still doesn't meet your satisfaction after the epoxy cures, you can always use shims fore/aft of the platen adjustment bolts. But I think it would have to be pretty extreme before that's required.

Good Luck,
Rob

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the advice and also for the reminder to look at the link which gives the info I need. Looking at the plans a little closer on the platen, and at the pics on the link, there is a 3/8 piece bolted onto the angle iron, and the glass afixed to that, and I have the machine screws for a ledge. I guess it was a little overkill on my part, to worry about getting it a perfect 90 degree angle, so I will leave that part as is.

Thanks again guys for the input.....D

this is how ive done mine
CIMG6988.jpg

I soldered a piece of 1/4 brass at the bottom to create a ledge.
any adjustment angle wise i believe can be made using washers and shims around the mounting points.

[video=youtube;xcdGzoe9Pkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcdGzoe9Pkw[/video]

Here's a quick vid showing how I did my flat platen. I just used some high quality double sided tape to attach mine, and I've not had ANY issues with it wanting to come off. (And trust me, I check often by trying to wiggle and pull on it).

If you have any questions, just ask.

Looks like you are ready to grind.

God bless,Keith

Yeah, I have been using a 4x36 bench grinder, and have done pretty good so far. But I figured it was time to "Get on the poarch with the Big Dogs", and play with some big boy toys.

Thanks also, for the picture reference and the video that were posted, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words !!

Back