Hand held mini buffer.

Fred Rowe

This works great on guards and blades alike.

Cut some square pieces from old blue jean material, stack them up and push a sharp scribe through the center to create a hole. Use a mandrel that screws together; insert the mandrel through the hole, insert the screw and tighten.

I find this set up to be much less dangerous than a large stationary buffer. Its great for guards; hold the guard in one hand with the buffer in the other. Its very easy to get into the finger groove and other tight places without the tendency to jerk the piece out of your hand.

When buffing blade surfaces, lock the blade in a vise and move the buffer. Its great for cleaning up the grooves at the plunge cuts.

If you have never used blue jean material to buff with you are in for a pleasant surprise.

Fred

DSC00980.JPG

DSC00979.JPG

Looks like a good idea from here. Do you fray out the edges of the denim or let it do so naturally?

Charlie

It frays out as its used. It helps if you stagger the pieces of denim, placing the corners in different positions. buffing a guard on a full size wheel scares hell out of me; with this you can sit in your chair and move the guard and wheel into different positions that you would never want to do on a full size wheel. Denim does a beautiful job of buffing. I have used it, just holding it in my hand, for years with great results. I tried using it with a mandrel just a few weeks back and was impressed enough to want to share the idea. Try it, you'll like it.

Fred

I always hate to throw away jeans that only have a worn place (for me it is my right upper leg) all the rest of the material is good. Thanks Fred, you are just full of it. (I mean good ideas.)

I love that idea!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

I did something very similar just the other day with a piece of grey scotchbrite pad.

Saves running out to Lowes to get some buffing wheels. I wonder if this could be upscaled to use with a buffing wheel arbor mounted to a hand drill.

Doug

I wonder if this could be upscaled to use with a buffing wheel arbor mounted to a hand drill.

Doug

I don't see why not; people have been using denim for quite a while now, mainly because it lasts longer.
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/ds.html

A note of caution, though, since you mention "upscaling".
The larger the buff, the more round it needs to be.
A square would be OK for the very small applications, though.

Fred I was buffing a straight razor blade the other day ,got caught some where went flying WOW I was lucky. I had a death grip on the dam thing too. I would like to have a Variable speed buffer in about 1/2 hp would be small enough to stall out when over powered. but I reallly like the jean material idea.

After seeing a friend at the OKCA show with bandaged hand from the buffer flipping a blade (faster than the eye could see) - - - I tried this yesterday - love it - put some more mandrels on my shopping list so I can change grit quickly... THANKS!!

Back