Pics of my No Weld Grinder w/mods

zbq

I finally got some pics taken of my No Weld Grinder.
The base is 4"x10" tube with a 1/4" wall.
After talking to Wayne Coe about the motor and VFD, I decided to go direct drive and made the necessary changes. I got the tracking wheel and the drive wheel from a friend who used to work in a foundry, both are 6", crowned and balanced to boot! Paid $15.00 each for them. :biggrin: Replaced the bearings and they were good to go. She runs really smooth and quiet, even at top speed. I still need to do some work to the flat platen so that I can turn it 180* and use it for slack belt. Rather than using idler wheels, I used 2" and 3" contact wheels for the flat platen to give added versatility. What do you think? Questions, suggestions and critiques always welcome.:1:

Attachments

• _DSC0668.jpg
    _DSC0668.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 163
  • _DSC0664.jpg
    _DSC0664.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 164
  • _DSC0669.jpg
    _DSC0669.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 152
  • _DSC0667.jpg
    _DSC0667.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 162
  • _DSC0672.jpg
    _DSC0672.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 150
  • _DSC0670.jpg
    _DSC0670.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 153
Looks good. See what asking a few questions will do for you. I'm always happy to see the grinders that others have built.

Looks great. Congrats.

Keep telling myself I need to modify for a rotating flat/slack attachment; just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks Wayne. In pic #5 you can see the mount I made for the VFD. It's 1.5" tube with an 1/8" wall. If you are really careful you can drill and tap the tube to mount the VFD. The tap was rubbing the inside of the tube just a bit, but it works. I plan to weld it all up in the near future. I'm gonna weld the bottom of the VFD mount too, it's kinda "springy" where I bent the tube back on itself for the base.

By the way Wayne, thanks for letting me pic your brain and putting up with my questions .:1:

Looks good. See what asking a few questions will do for you. I'm always happy to see the grinders that others have built.

nice build. looks really stout. The direct drive variable is a nice touch..

Thanks Tracy!
I guess I get the "stout" from my grandpa.
He always said "If you're gonna build it, build it to last."

The only "weak spot" in the design for ME is the hinge point of the tension arm. I wish it was supported on both sides, not just the motor side. Or, using a 1/2" bolt rather than 3/8", It works just fine, but I wonder about the physics of repeatedly changing the belts and also the constant tension during operation having a downward torquing effect over time and maybe effecting the tracking.

I guess that is probably just the "build it to last" instinct nagging at me....:34:

nice build. looks really stout. The direct drive variable is a nice touch..

Back