Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New forge !

This thread might be dead, But I am starting my construction on a forge within a few weeks. This is a very similar build that I am planning on doing, my main question is what do I use for a blower? How strong does it need to be?

Thankyou for any reply!!!

I have a used bounce house blower on my forge that I regulate with a gate valve. As I recall it ran me about $60 plus shipping. All I had to do is cobble together a connection between it and the burner and plug it in.

Doug
    Old age and trechery will always overcome youth and ambition.

Thanks!

nice forge..........admire how you squeeze in your fancy press in the same photo , well done !!

I want to take a shot at a reply to this old thread too. I have a similar set-up with a 100# bottle. Where would you put a needle valve, before or after the regulator?

The regulator on my forge is back on the bottle. A gas line leads from it to a stopcock valve then a short brass nipple which attaches to the needle valve which attaches to another short brass nipple which is inserted into a cap to a T-connector to the air line.

Doug

Hey thanks Doug.

Is the stopcock there for convenient on/off? And am I right that the needle valve is needed to help regulate the pressure from a large bottle as opposed to a 20#?

I just got my forge set up. I have an adjustable regulator at the 100# bottle, then the line goes straight to the torch. I'm wondering if I need more checks and control inline before the torch.

Luke

You should have the regulator at the bottle, then hose to a 1/4 turn ball valve for quick on/off then the needle valve to adjust volume of gas and fine tune the gas on a blown forge. The needle valve does not control pressure, that is done at the regulator, the needle valve only controls volume. You should have a gate valve between the blower and the gas inlet to control volume of air. With the gate valve and needle valve you can control the relation of air to gas, very much like an ace/oxy torch.

Let me know if I can help you.

​Wayne
    <);-)>
    Wayne Coe
    729Peters Ford Road
    Sunbright, Tennessee 37872
    423-628-6444
    www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com
    waynecoe@highland.net

"Moe" Official Shop Dog

The stopcock does help with turning the gas on but it also is needed when something goes wrong and you need to turn off the gas NOW.

​Doug

Doug, Wayne, Thank you. I thought I left a post I wouldn't be able to answer for a couple days but don't see it now. Sorry for the late reply no online access.

I'm getting ahead of myself again and need to catch up on gas forge designs. Wayne, I see the information on your website. Let me do some studying.

Luke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast