Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New forge !

New forge !

After years of striving, well OK, months. I have finally finished my new forge. This started out as a vertical blown forge with plenty of space in the bottom for flux to collect, however after finding a thread on ribbon burners I cut it up and made a horizontal with a ribbon burner. The burner is fourteen inches long (the full inside length of the forge) and angled so the flames swirl around the inside. I finished it last night and haven't used it yet but I had to turn the air down and adjust my propane reg. to zero to get the temp down to 2100 deg.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roy Miller; 04-03-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: add pictures
    HIS knives Roy & Steven Miller makers
    Surely HIS salvation is near to those who fear Him. Psalm 85:9
    http://hisknives.com

Thats Cool............oh I mean hot!!

So whats a ribbon burner?
    Feel Free To Visit My Website, Ernie Swanson Knives

"Never, ever ever call a lady cop "Fatboy". ~ Rock Cowles

I can't tell from the picture, do you have a needle valve on the gas line? If you don't, I'd install one. It will really help you regulate the gas flow. Also, I you put that propane cylender outside of my shop if it is very inclosed. I have mine inside but it's all open windows on three sides. No where for any leaked propane to gather. There's a reason that stores that sell and fill these things don't allow them inside the building.

Doug Lester
    Old age and trechery will always overcome youth and ambition.

Thats a nice looking forge, Can you tell us about the ribbon burner? or add a link to the thread.
    Sounds like its a good set up based on the temps you stated.

God Bless
    Randy
    God is GOOD, ALL the time!!!

HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

Randy Haas
    http://hhhcustomknives.com

LINK To current Knife Auction!!

I found the following link regarding ribbon burners.
    http://blacksmith.org/forums/threads...n-Forge-Burner

The link above by airborne steel is to the site I used. Grant gives a great step by step on building the burner. He recommended 10 to 12 inch length but I made mine 14 and only used two rows of holes instead of three.
    I do have a little needle valve under the front edge of the table where I can see inside to adjust the mix. I will add some shots of the burner construction. oh yeah the big tank is outside.
    Last edited by Roy Miller; 04-03-2011 at 07:26 PM.

I am impatiently waiting for more pictures.
    After you posted this I contacted John Emmerling (one of my blacksmith buddies). He is using this with natural gas and has 9 inches between the gas inlet and the burner. He says that this is for gas/air mixing and that Propane mixes better than NG so you could use less. Looks like you have about 18"? It looks like your gas comes in right at the blower?
    I will be building a forge out of a 20# propane bottle with an 8" burner. If this works out well I may be offering these in a forge for those that do not want to go through the trouble of building one.
    Thanks for getting me started on this.
    <);-)>
    Wayne Coe
    729Peters Ford Road
    Sunbright, Tennessee 37872
    423-628-6444
    www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com
    waynecoe@highland.net

"Moe" Official Shop Dog

Wayne, I did add the smaller pictures at the bottom, but if you go to my web site there are even more. I wondered if anyone would notice the gas inlet. It comes in the back of the burner housing in a quarter inch steel line and comes out the front about eight inches. That is the way the waste oil heater was set up so I went that way for testing and just left it that way. The only problem with this way is putting a damper on the air flow. What I did is make a quarter turn valve from a large flat washer between the blower and the fuel outlet and the fuel line goes through the hole in the center of the washer. The only problem that I am having now is it gets too hot. I had to plug nine of the twenty seven burner holes to keep the temp. around 2500 deg. The extra length of pipe is just to get the blower out of the way.

Hello every one I am I guess the new kid or tender foot on the block Mr Miller you are the reason I am here Yes it all your fault but I will not hold it against you i just looked up the link that AirBorn put up- and the page is no where to be found unless its my old commodore 64 with retro rockets causing it not to pop up , i9 am very much interested in this Ribbon Burner with the price of propane these days her its 3.79 per gallon not cheap at all . any information that i can be directed to would be much appreciated stay safe Me blessed and keepem Sharp .. and one more thing where where do i find this avitar down load for picture4s and what knot' .. have a great weekend ..

Lucky8 the information, plus a lot more, is in an attachment on my web-site on the Forge Supplies page.

I run my forge with about .5# of pressure and have been welding Damascus billets with no flux.

Let me know if I can help you.
    <);-)>
    Wayne Coe
    729Peters Ford Road
    Sunbright, Tennessee 37872
    423-628-6444
    www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com
    waynecoe@highland.net

"Moe" Official Shop Dog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast